Automated "cloze" flashcard creation with Chrome

I've been learning with "fill-in-the-blank" Chinese sentence flashcards for a while now, and while they are very effective for learning characters and words in context, creating them within Pleco has always been very laborious.

Hence, I went and turned a Chinese popup dictionary extension for Chrome into a custom cloze flashcard generator that lets you export in the Pleco flashcard format.

Say hello to "Zhongwen Cloze":
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... l=en&gl=US
(sjobeek is my Other alias...)

As an example of what this Chrome extension can do, take the following headline form Youku.com:

[热点]中国海监船驶入钓鱼岛领海 责令侵权日船离开

As you can see in the (attached) screen capture, hovering your mouse over 钓鱼岛 gives you a pop-up definition with tones etc just like a normal pop-up dictionary extension.

The secret sauce happens when you press the 1 2 or 3 key on your keyboard; this creates a "cloze" flashcard with the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd character "blanked out". Here are the headwords for the resulting custom flashcards:

1) [热点]中国海监船驶入(...)鱼岛领海 责令侵权日船离开
2) [热点]中国海监船驶入钓(...)岛领海 责令侵权日船离开
3) [热点]中国海监船驶入钓鱼(...)领海 责令侵权日船离开

By studying these three flashcards in Pleco, you can learn how to argue about the Diaoyu (Senkaku) islands with all of your former Chinese friends!

Even better, since this follows the "minimum information principle" of SRS learning, you will be able to take full advantage of Pleco's fancy flashcard scheduling algorithm. Simply grade yourself based on whether or not you were able to rememeber the pronunciation and tone of the single missing character.

If other characters in the sentence also need to be studied, you can make separate flashcard for each of those characters in seconds. Much better than copy-paste, I assure you =)

Here's an example of what the plain-text looks like after exported from the Chrome extension (hit Ctrl-W to see your flashcards ready for export):
Code:
[热点]中国海监船驶入(...)鱼岛领海 责令侵权日船离开	Diao4 yu2 dao3	钓鱼岛 Senkaku Islands (administered by Japan as part of Okinawa prefecture); Diaoyu Islands; Pinnacle Islands	  [热点]中国海监船驶入钓鱼岛领海 责令侵权日船离开
[热点]中国海监船驶入钓(...)岛领海 责令侵权日船离开	Diao4 yu2 dao3	钓鱼岛 Senkaku Islands (administered by Japan as part of Okinawa prefecture); Diaoyu Islands; Pinnacle Islands	  [热点]中国海监船驶入钓鱼岛领海 责令侵权日船离开
[热点]中国海监船驶入钓鱼(...)领海 责令侵权日船离开	Diao4 yu2 dao3	钓鱼岛 Senkaku Islands (administered by Japan as part of Okinawa prefecture); Diaoyu Islands; Pinnacle Islands	  [热点]中国海监船驶入钓鱼岛领海 责令侵权日船离开

There are tabs in there, following Pleco's flashcard import format. The full excerpt is also included in the "definition" in case you want to copy-paste it somewhere else within Pleco.

If you try to make a flashcard from the middle of a paragraph, the "excerpt" will truncate at about 20-40 characters as per the devious logic I've implemented.

I hope this is useful for you guys!

Attachments

• Zhongwen Cloze.png
    Zhongwen Cloze.png
    537.6 KB · Views: 1,608