Beta 1 Bug Reporting

sfrrr

状元
sfrrr said:
I've yet to use PD2 b1 because I made the mistake of trying PD1x and it has well and truly messed with my Axim's system. During a soft reset, something renamed my 4 GB SD Card to SD Card2, making everything unavailable unless I use File Explorer to launch them manually. (Can't use the more powerful Resco File Explorer because it's on the SD Card.) This happened to me once before (caused by another beta crashing and renaming SD Card to SD Card 2). Trouble is, I can't remember how I fixed it. Probably in the registry.

As a result of all this, I can't transfer the fixed files onto my Axim. I'll remember later tonight.

Sandra
Dell Axim x51v running WM5 (OS 5.1.195, build 14957.2.3.1), 190.5 MB of which 120 MB are still free Main Memory storage, 49.4 MB total Program Memory of which 178 KB are still free, 4GB SanDisk SD card with 1354 MB free, 16 GB SanDisk CF Card with almost 15 GB still free, Mobem's CE Star IME.

My Axim works again! I remembered the fix. I knew that the later it got, the more likely it was that I'd remember.

For anyone who comes across the same problem: use even the built-in File Explorer to look at the PPC's directory structure. You'll see you now have two SD Cards--SD Card and SD Card2. Look carefully and you'll see that the Axim thinks SD Card is a folder, not a a memory card (on my setup, only the icons look different). Eject the actual, physical SD Card, then delete the SD Card folder. Push the card back in, turn the PPC on, and, you'll be happy to find your expansion card renamed to SD Card, SD Card2 has disappeared like a bad dream.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis - on #1, we'll try reproducing this, should be pretty straightforward. Does this happen on every Preferences screen or just one or two specific ones?

See my comment about FileZ in the first page of the Feedback Thread for info on how to reset your preferences. (though eventually there'll be a built-in command for this too)

gato

状元
ipsi said:
gato said:
- Handwriting recognition-based entry doesn't seem to trigger a search for some reason.
Anyone notice this bug?

Yeah. I've noticed that, but for me it's all forms. I need to use the search button to get it to search (or actually enter a fully different screen, likeb prefs). Annoying, but workable.
Handwriting entry search doesn't work for me right now even if I click on the search button. When I click on the search button after entering a character through handwriting recognition, it would switch from the C-C Guifan Dictionary to E-C 21st Century Dictionary, and of course, it would find no result.

I've never beta tested before, but I'm kind of excited to be involved.
I'm using Palm 0S 4, so I'm expecting a few more problems than other people are running into
I've run into a few problems already (like the 表 list disappearing when I resized the list and refusing to reappear, even if I re-install everything), but once I used FileZ to delete all the PLENO files (thanks Mike), everything returned to normal. Now I can resize, no problem

Here's the question:
If I make create a problem error that is only fixed with the PLENO deletion thing, BUT I can't actually reproduce it after it is fixed...do you still want to here about it?

Thanks

- Type / model: Palm Zire 31
- Firmware version: 4.5.2P
- Cellular carrier: N/A
- Type / size of memory expansion card: 1 GB SD Card
- Free memory available (internal and on the card): Internal 8.1MB of 14 MB, Card 862.4 MB of 982.1 MB
- Names of any system extensions / Chinese OSes installed: N/A

colinsky

Have downloaded and installed the latest set of files on my PocketPC device. 1.0 is also installed on the same device and continues to work properly.

This is a Japanese WM5 HTC device.

Installed PlecoDict exe and DLL to on-device \Program Files\Pleco, all other files to \Storage Card\Pleco. (Note that this is a Japanese device, so "Storage Card" is displayed as Japanese text, not English.

Program launches, Dictionaries found, Hardware code accessed and key file created -- no problem.

One big issue -- I'm not seeing any Chinese characters displayed at all (except the UI, but I assume they are bitmaps?). Pinyin IS displaying correctly for each entry. THis is true everywhere there should be CHinese -- not only the dictionary entries themselves, but the handwriting selection, etc.

Have tried copying the included ttf files to \Windows\Fonts and \Program Files\Pleco directory with no success. Confirmed that standard MS SOng and Mingliu files are also installed on this device, with no success. Also tried resetting the device.

Could this be an installation mishap on my part, or possibly related to this being a Japanese device? THis device is also fairly full -- could there be a memory or storage issue?

ipsi

状元
gato said:
Handwriting entry search doesn't work for me right now even if I click on the search button. When I click on the search button after entering a character through handwriting recognition, it would switch from the C-C Guifan Dictionary to E-C 21st Century Dictionary, and of course, it would find no result.

What I've noticed is that if I start Pleco, it seems to sometimes default to 全,as opposed to 头. Just tried on mine, using 马. Searching works with both 全 and 头, and as expected :). But I still have to use the search button unless I change from 全 to 头.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
gato - we're actually seeing more of that handwriting search problem here now, which is rather odd; it was working fine a week ago. Part of the reason for all of the Palm OS problems in general is that throughout 2.0's development we've pretty much been alternating every couple of weeks between Palm and Pocket PC; Pocket PC came up last in that rotation, and unfortunately we were so hard-pressed to meet what in hindsight was an overly optimistic October 1st release date that we didn't have time to go back and do a thorough check to make sure the Pocket PC code changes hadn't screwed up anything on the Palm end.

However, one good thing about this is that we know many of the Palm OS problems are stemming from a relatively small amount of code that was changed in the last week or two, so it should be easy enough to find and rapidly dispatch with many of the most annoying bugs.

Fleminator - the Zire 31 actually runs Palm OS 5, 2.0 won't even start up on Palm OS 4. But it's still a very different system from most of the ones people are testing on, so that explains some of the problems at least. There's no need to report bugs like this which are cleared up by deleting the Preferences yet, enough of that code (which makes up most of the "small amount of code" mentioned above) is going to be overhauled in the next few weeks that a lot of them will likely go away anyway and the ones that don't may change form completely between now and then.

colinsky - haven't gotten any other reports of this problem yet. It's rather strange, actually... did you try exiting PlecoDict completely (using the Quit command in the Dict menu) and reopening after you copied the font to \Program Files\Pleco? There certainly could be a memory issue involved, but it's unlikely the Japanese localization would make any difference since Pleco's font system is completely independent of Windows' now anyway - what exact model of HTC phone are you using?

ipsi - that definitely sounds like a preferences bug... really just giving that system a good once-over is going to take care of a *ton* of issues.

leilanij

hi, this is my first post ever here... i just purchased pleco prof awhile ago and installed it in my TX :) but since i really want the audio feature, i went ahead and installed beta 2... in my orders page, it says i can have:
* ABC Chinese-English Comprehensive Dictionary
* Stroke Order Diagrams
* Audio Pronunciation System
* NWP English-Chinese Pinyin Dictionary
* Hanwang Handwriting Recognizer
:lol: :lol: :lol:
problem is, i now have 2 pleco apps in my palm.. PlecoDict and Pleco Engine. And both don't work :( the UI of pleco engine is really messed up (blank space on top so i cant see any buttons and cannot access them either) and plecodict (non-beta2) only has one dictionary (ABC).
i've manually installed both by the way...
If it's the Hanwang handwriting recognizer not being compatible with TX, can i just delete this?
:oops: :oops:
hope someone can help me... i'm really looking forward to using this! thanks!

gato

状元
plecodict (non-beta2) only has one dictionary (ABC).
If this is the only problem you are experiencing with PlecoDict 1.0, then try installing the 1.0 dictionaries into \Palm\Programs\PlecoDict directory on your memory card. That would probably take care of the problem.

beirne

进士
mikelove said:
beirne - search is probably that same bug, for the license getting lost I'd suggest that you unlock the software, immediately exit to your TX's application launcher, then do a soft reset; hopefully that will get the license committed to memory well enough that it'll stay there when you reopen Pleco.

Enabling the search button works fine so now I can use the dictionary. I'm still having trouble with the license, though. Having worked with the beta some more I'll add some details. When I first tried beta 1 I downloaded the keyfile for my existing dictionaries. I then purchased the upgrade package that includes dictionaries, strokes, and sounds. What is getting lost is the new license for all of the dictionaries. It reverts back to the license for the dictionaries I had purchased for Pleco 1. I tried what you suggested but it still switches back after a while. I haven't yet figured out a way to reproduce it at will other than using the program for a while.

leilanij

Got both versions working fine now :) Just one question though: My Dictionary switch for Pleco Beta 2 is ABC and NWP.. but another one comes up "USR" that I cannot/do not have... which dictionary is this?

daniu

榜眼
Hi!

I did not really test my installation but I have 2 points already:

your howto is a bit confusing. I mean: it says install and means copy and it does not say that you are supposed to copy the data within the directories in the main Pleco-directory. I can understand the separation of the files to show the user which files he needs but I think that does not become very clear in the whole thing and I am sure it makes more work for you (since people are having problems) than writing this text a bit more detailed ... Actually php installation directives are a good way of doing things like that ...

The second thing is: I wonder if it was not better to use a proper BUG-reporting tool. Then users could search for bugs better and would not so easy come up with the same bug again ... As responsible user I do not feel good to write any bug-report before having read all the others - the way it is now. Unfortunately I am sure that not all people have this responsibility. Since you also have to read everything users write I believe that it would save a big amount of time for you to use something like mantis or the like ... Even the installation might take away some time now. This software would also quite usefull after the beta-phase. (if I remember correctly mantis searches for similar bugs on it's own before really allowng the user to safe a bug to the system)

regards
Daniel

daniu

榜眼
leilanij said:
Got both versions working fine now :) Just one question though: My Dictionary switch for Pleco Beta 2 is ABC and NWP.. but another one comes up "USR" that I cannot/do not have... which dictionary is this?

Hi!

USR means User - that are words that are not in any other dictionary. There are several ways these kind of words can come into existence ...

regards
Daniel

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
beirne - this still might be some sort of conflict between the old and new keyfiles. Try using FileZ to clear out all of the preferences again and then install *only* the latest keyfile - does that help any?

daniu - yeah, the installation guide was something I wrote in about 10 minutes while the audio files were uploading, so it's not exactly a feat of documentational excellence, but given the intended audience for this beta I don't really think it matters so much, particularly since people are doing an excellent job of keeping all of their 2.0 questions on the forums and not sending us e-mail.

We thought about rolling out an actual bug report database, but I think that's better left for a late beta or a release candidate. For right now there are so many bugs coming in (and so many of them that are already in areas we're consciously working to clean up / overhaul) that I think the time we'd spend managing the bug report system would exceed the time we'd save by having it. But once we get down the point where we're looking for small / intermittent / glitchy things it would definitely make sense to have a more organized database for them.

sfrrr

状元
Mike--I finally got everything working last night, including PlecoDict 1x, so, I feel, I'm ahead of whatever game it is we're playing. But, the audio files still don't work at all, and that error about not being able to activate/install/display (?) some of my dictionaries pops up when I launch PD2 and, sure enough, I'm not getting Cheng and Tsui. And adso, which is installed for 1x. In pd2, is the SW supposed to search the entire device looking for its components, as pd 1x does? Or is that a misapperception on my part? (Do you spell that word with one or two Ps? Don't have time to look it up now,) When I can grab another five minutes, I'll send my feedback--I'm very impressed.

Sandra

colinsky said:
Have downloaded and installed the latest set of files on my PocketPC device. 1.0 is also installed on the same device and continues to work properly.

This is a Japanese WM5 HTC device.

Installed PlecoDict exe and DLL to on-device \Program Files\Pleco, all other files to \Storage Card\Pleco. (Note that this is a Japanese device, so "Storage Card" is displayed as Japanese text, not English.

Program launches, Dictionaries found, Hardware code accessed and key file created -- no problem.

One big issue -- I'm not seeing any Chinese characters displayed at all (except the UI, but I assume they are bitmaps?). Pinyin IS displaying correctly for each entry. THis is true everywhere there should be CHinese -- not only the dictionary entries themselves, but the handwriting selection, etc.

Have tried copying the included ttf files to \Windows\Fonts and \Program Files\Pleco directory with no success. Confirmed that standard MS SOng and Mingliu files are also installed on this device, with no success. Also tried resetting the device.

Could this be an installation mishap on my part, or possibly related to this being a Japanese device? THis device is also fairly full -- could there be a memory or storage issue?

I actually had this same problem. I am using am english ROM that has support for Japanese and Chinese characters. When I first installed pleco 2.0 it just displayed boxes for the characters and pinyin for the chinese dictionary. I moved the font to windows/fonts (zysong.tty) and after a reset it started magically working. Also, in the preferences, I can select the OS Chinese font file too which also works fine.

My device is the Databank X01HT (HTC Hermes) which I have flashed to a different OS.

beirne

进士
mikelove said:
beirne - this still might be some sort of conflict between the old and new keyfiles. Try using FileZ to clear out all of the preferences again and then install *only* the latest keyfile - does that help any?

I deleted all of the saved PlecoDict preferences and copied the keyfile back in. It worked for a few searches then I put the Palm down. When I came back to it later the license was back to having just my version 1 dictionaries. Through more experimentation I found that when I exit Plecodict and restart it the license is back to the original version.

In case it matters, when I start up beta 1 it says that some items that I had purchased are not installed. I assume that would be the stroke orders and sounds, which I haven't found.

sfrrr

状元
sfrrr said:
Mike--I finally got everything working last night, including PlecoDict 1x, so, I feel, I'm ahead of whatever game it is we're playing. But, the audio files still don't work at all, and that error about not being able to activate/install/display (?) some of my dictionaries pops up when I launch PD2 and, sure enough, I'm not getting Cheng and Tsui. And adso, which is installed for 1x. In pd2, is the SW supposed to search the entire device looking for its components, as pd 1x does? Or is that a misapperception on my part? (Do you spell that word with one or two Ps? Don't have time to look it up now,) When I can grab another five minutes, I'll send my feedback--I'm very impressed.

Sandra

Mike--I also should have said that I got PD 1x and PD2 b1 both working by installing the new files, as expected, but PD2 wouldn't launch until I moved the executable to the PD2 folder on my SD Card. (PD 1x has always run fine from my SD Card.)

Also, I now have trouble syncing my Axim and my PC. Connection has become intermittent--for some reason, it seems to hang in the same place every time, but I don't know what's hanging it up.

Dell Axim x51v running WM5 (OS 5.1.195, build 14957.2.3.1), 190.5 MB of which 120 MB are still free Main Memory storage, 49.4 MB total Program Memory of which 178 KB are still free, 4GB SanDisk SD card with 1354 MB free, 16 GB SanDisk CF Card with almost 15 GB still free, Mobem's CE Star IME.

gato

状元
On the Palm, currently cannot use the directional pad to scroll between dictionary entries, as one could in 1.0.