Beta 5 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
So here it is, the official soon-to-be-very-long Pleco 2.0 Beta 5 Bug Report / Feedback thread.

Things We're Particularly Interested In Hearing About:

-- Crashes, obviously, especially of the reproducible (whenever I do X it crashes) sort.
-- Any sort of data corruption / data loss / files becoming inaccessible.
-- Obnoxious noises from the audio system (after making sure that it's unlocked and listed as such in the Ordering screen).
-- Instant Access not working correctly with common / widely-used applications.
-- Cards coming up in multiple-choice tests with the wrong lengths, e.g. it shows you two characters and one of the answers has three (non-parenthetical) Pinyin syllables.
-- Cards being scored inaccurately in free-answer mode; if you're entering characters, make sure to use the same character set (simplified versus traditional) that the system is set up to use.
-- Flashcard sessions inexplicably refusing to start - creating a new profile (or resetting your existing one) should fix this, but if you wouldn't mind backing up and sending the flashcard file with that bad profile in it to us beforehand that'll help us figure out how to check for / put up a friendly error message for whatever the problem is.
-- Overall flashcard system impressions / points of confusion / etc.
-- Document reader bookmarks - they should be retained pretty reliably now, but let us know if they're not.
-- Software refusing to start up on Pocket PC (requiring a reset before it will) - please be as specific as possilble about your system configuration and any other third-party software installed/running on your system.
-- Font-related conflicts on Pocket PC (CE-Star etc), or fonts appearing as blank / completely garbled, especially if this comes after you've just turned the device on with Pleco already running. (and please do install your font files on an SD card, we went to a lot of trouble to finally get that working correctly)
-- Major glitches in the dictionary databases - the "specchar" tags in GF (and occasionally 21C) are a known problem, they're rare characters we haven't gotten around to adding font support for yet, but if you see an entry which seems to consist of two entries merged together, or of the lopped-off end of an earlier entry, or is in some other way seriously screwed up, please do let us know about that.
-- Consistently incorrect traditional character conversions, especially in the GF/21C dictionaries (which are the ones in which we've had to do most of the conversion work ourselves).
-- Performance, especially in the areas of text rendering (you should notice dramatic improvements in some areas, like scrolling through long dictionary entries), dictionary searches (particularly with a good-sized user dictionary in the mix), and startup time (faster on Palm if you disable any search directories in Preferences that you're not using).
-- Full-text search: the easiest way to try this out is to enter a # (or whatever character you've selected in Preferences) before a Chinese character or English search query - with Chinese make sure it's at least two characters, with English make sure it's the whole word and not just the start of it.
-- All of the new preferences, particularly big-ticket ones like "auto-enter best handwriting match" (something people have been asking for since 2001).
-- Weird behavior in the category organizer screen, such as categories randomly disappearing / having their names changed / jumping around. (we've fixed a bunch of bugs in this area recently but there may be one or two still lurking)
-- Zhuyin / BoPoMoFo search and display.

Some Specific Known Issues:

-- Less-than-beautiful text display on Pocket PC: the subpixel font rendering option was just added a few days ago, but along with being kind of slow it isn't properly filtered yet, so characters can appear a little funky, and there are still a number of glitches with characters overlapping each other / not being kerned correctly / etc.
-- Flashcard imports on Palm will sometimes slow to a crawl, especially on the Palm TX and especially when using the "Pleco Flashcard Database" format, so for TX users especially we'd recommend using a regular XML file instead - it'll probably still take an hour or two (only so much we can do to speed up the process) but at least you might still have a little battery life left after it finishes. If it's working correctly then after a few dozen cards you should see it quickly getting through batches of 10 or 20 of them of a time with long pauses between those batches; if it's working incorrectly then around 1000 cards or so it'll start to slow down to just one card at a time, in which case you should probably reset, delete the flashcard database and try again.
-- It's also normal on Palm for the system to freeze for a minute or two after a big import - it hasn't crashed, it's just the Palm OS' file storage system taking a painfully long time to sync/write all of the new data to flash memory. (we'll probably add some sort of friendly "don't panic" message in those situations in the finished version)
-- Also slower than we'd like on Palm are the manage cards search / new session commands in flashcards; we actually do have one more optimization we can do that should help matters a good bit on that front, but if you're working with a particularly colossal flashcard set we'd recommend you limit sessions to a few thousand cards' worth of categories at a time to avoid really long waits.
-- Hardware button control in the document reader should work, but the up/down command is a bit awkward since it doesn't do a good job of sticking to the same left/right position in each successive line. (we're working on it)
-- Stylus detection for the resizer bars is a bit off, though we're still trying to figure out why - if you can't seem to hit it, move a few pixels below or to the right of it and that should hopefully work.
-- Handwriting recognition on TouchFlo Pocket PCs - it should work pretty well on the dedicated Input screen, but in the main interface you'll have to either turn off TouchFlo scrolling or hold down the stylus for a while at the start of each stroke. Basically TouchFlo screws up handwriting input whenever there's a scrollbar visible, we've managed to eliminate them in the Input screen but we're still trying to work out a way to trick it into thinking they're not there in the main dictionary interface.

Things To Try If You Feel Like Doing Something More Specific Than Your Normal Pleco Activities:

-- Unlocking and adding new dictionary databases on Pocket PC while the software is already loaded/running; this should be doable now, so try installing Pleco without a couple of dictionaries or a keyfile, launch it, put it int the background, install the keyfile, reopen it, see if it's correctly unlocked itself, then background it again, copy over the missing databases, reopen it, and verify that they're now unlocked / accessible.
-- Also on Pocket PC: the folder sync feature should now be able to back up flashcard / user dictionary databases while Pleco is running without putting up error messages, so try setting it up to sync My Documents and see if it actually does manage to back them up.
-- Different methods of installing databases to memory cards on Palm; we've added some new code to check for database corruption, but we're a bit worried that Palm Desktop might in some cases cause a file to appear to be corrupted when it's actually not, so try a mix of USB reader / Palm Desktop / Missing Sync / copy-from-internal-memory installations to the card and see if any of the databases fail to load correctly in Pleco.
-- SD card flashcard / user dictionary databases on Palm. Two ways to create one of these: either create it on a Pocket PC and put it in a memory card directory where the Palm will find it, or create the file on your Palm, copy it to your desktop, use a hex editor to remove the few hundred (or few thousand) bytes of data before the phrase "SQLite Format 3" (so that that's right at the start of the file), save it with the file extension .pqb, and put it somewhere on the card where your Palm will find it. In both cases you'll need to delete any flashcard databases in internal memory or else the software will automatically pick those ahead of the ones on the card. We're evaluating whether this is fast / reliable enough to make it an official (and obviously much easier-to-use) option in the finished release.
-- Data fidelity in flashcard import/export - if you're really a glutton for boring repetitive tasks, after you import your flashcard database, try exporting it to XML, deleting/moving the 2.0 flashcard database file, then importing it again and see if anything has been lost / altered. (the XML files won't be completely identical, since the modified dates and the order of the category assignments for each invidual card will change, but everything else should be pretty well preserved)

sfrrr

状元
Mike--thanks for the beta!!!!!
However, the link to the order page gives me a 404 error in Firefox 3x. I'm about to try it in IE.

Sandra

ipsi

状元
Did you manage to solve the problem of Blazer and Instant Access? I won't be able to grab the beta for another few hours, so just curious.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, it actually had nothing to do with IA itself but rather with Pleco's startup sequence not getting along with Blazer - fortunately it was a pretty easy thing to fix (or seemed to be).

Pleco Beta 5 doesn't have any Chinese characters on my device. The dictionaries only show pinyin and english and empty brackets where characters were supposed to be. Character writing input doesn't generate any results after I hit "recognize".

I have double checked that I installed all the files.

Glofiish x500+ smartphone with WM6
Storage memory 21.19 MB of 52.53 MB free
Program memory 5.33 MB of 45.20 MB free
SD-card 674.97 MB of 950.56 MB free

First of all, many thanks for releasing beta5!

Now, I'm probably one of the first (to install b5) who is installing a Pleco2 beta for the first time, so maybe some of my questions are a bit silly...

I'm running WM5.

I followed the installation instructions (placing the two files in My Device/Program Files/Pleco and the rest in Storage Card/Pleco), but one thing I wasnt clear on at all, was whether to preserve the directory structure of dictionaries, encodings etc. Initially I did, but then (when starting Pleco2) I got a message saying the dictionaries could not be found.

So, I moved all the files in dictionaries to the top level (Storage Card/Pleco) and this fixed that problem.

I also guessed that the contents of ppc* folders should also go in the top level, right?

What about the others?

Next, I downloaded the new keyfile.plk and placed it in My Device/My Documents. But Pleco2 does not detect this. I tried it in various other locations, but still no luck.

What am I doing wrong? Is it because all the files need to be moved from the subdirectories to the top level (i.e. Storage Card/Pleco)????

ipsi

状元
Yes, you need to ensure that all the files are in the top level directory (e.g. if it says SDCard/Pleco, then they all go in SDCard/Pleco, such you have SDCard/Pleco/guifan.pdb, etc).

Did you download the new 2.0 version keyfile from the link mentioned in the Beta 5 Available Thread? Or did you download it from the screen accessible from the main page?

If you did, my best suggestion (being a Palm user) would be to put it in the same directory as the PlecoDict EXE file and try again. If not, then that's probably a bug. :(

weight

举人
Mike,

looks like zhuyin first tone and neutral tone are the same - no dot -?

氣 (ABC):

氣得我說不出話

correct : ㄑㄧˋ ㄉㄜ˙ ㄨㄛˇ ㄕㄨㄛ ㄅㄨ˙ ㄔㄨ ㄏㄨㄚˋ

what pleco does: ㄑㄧˋ ㄉㄜ ㄨㄛˇ ㄕㄨㄛ ㄅㄨ ㄔㄨ ㄏㄨㄚˋ

ipsi - thanks for that.

Ah yes, I originally did click on the correct link to get the keyfile but then after going through the steps, when I was asked to refresh the My Orders page, I just clicked on My Orders at the top of the screen which would have taken me to the wrong keyfile page.

I see the new keyfile has a .pdb extension instead of the old plk.

So it all seems to work now.

However, when I installed the key, it said something about me having paid for some dictionaries that have not been installed. I purchased the complete bundle a couple of months ago...

ipsi

状元
Did you install all the dictionaries in the package? And the Audio? And the stroke-order stuff? Remember that there are two new dictionaries - the Chinese-Chinese one, and the 21st Century one. Best to go through and make sure there's nothing listed on the orders page that you don't have installed. If you installed everything, audio included, then that probably counts as an annoying bug.

Mator

秀才
Hey Mike,
Beta 5 is great! I downloaded here in Beijing without a problem and everything seems to work good (except for some very minor glitches I'll compile later). I imported my xml flashcard file from the 1.0 conversion and everything came over fine although one of my categories keeps resetting my handheld during a flashcard session. I will experiment noting any patterns and send you the file later if you want it. This is the first I've been able to really use the flashcards (because of lots of crashes) and it looks great and should be very useful for my study. Thanks for all your work!

daniu

榜眼
TaiwanSwedey said:
Pleco Beta 5 doesn't have any Chinese characters on my device. The dictionaries only show pinyin and english and empty brackets where characters were supposed to be. Character writing input doesn't generate any results after I hit "recognize".

I have double checked that I installed all the files.

Hi!

Same here on my Dell Axim X51V ... What I did: moved all the old files to "old" folders and copied the new ones in the same place. Moved the application file (renamed it to plecodict.exe), PlecoHWR.dll and the ttf files to /programs/pleco where the old app was before.
I can start Plecodict, do not seem to have to apply a keyfile (should I try?) and can see all my dictionaries in the order page but I do not see any characters. Doublechecked that no pleco ttf-files are anywhere else on the pda ...

EDIT: even tried to reset to demo and apply the keyfile again - no help ...

best regards
Daniel

kiwi123

Thanks for your hard work Mike.
Still issues on my set up.

Palm Tungsten E2 v5.40017 - did a hard reset (after backup of course) + 1GB SD card

Installed FileZ and NV Backup on SD Card.

Copied all files to SD Card then transferred the 2 files + keyfile to Internal memory

Crashes on "Char Info" when toggling between Details and Stroke Order

ipsi - yeah, thanks it was the audio missing. Didn't realise I'd paid for that :)

The other three dictionaries stay in demo mode - I guess I would need to pay extra for those!

BTW - I'm also having font issues - no chinese characters showing up at all.

ipsi

状元
Strange. No idea for the font thing.

And yes, you'll need to pay for the 21st Century, Guifan, and Cheng & Tsui (C&T was availible with 1.0, by the way).

daniu

榜眼
ipsi said:
Strange. No idea for the font thing.

Hi!

Also tried to change between the different rendering methods but no help ... Hope Mike will come up with a solution soon - now it is really hard to wait, especially since PD2 looks realy more than promising!

ipsi

状元
Unless Mike is an absolute machine, he's likely to be asleep given that it's 4.30am or so in New York.

Kiwi123: Did you install the stroke-order file? It's called stroke.pdb, I believe. If so, is it unlocked? Could be a problem with you not having purchased it.

radioman

状元
Tunsten E2...
Mine also crashes when going between detail and stroke order.

Flashcard problem:
- If I try to add a current dictionary entry to the flashcards I get the following: "Sorry, the flashcard could not be created because your flashcard flie could not be accesed - exit and reopen pleco and try again".
-Trying to get into the flashcard module I get the following: Sorry, the flaschcard system falied to initiaize correctl - exit Pleco, soft reset (reboot) your handheld and try again.".

I can't get the right keyfile :( I just updated my Samsung i780 to WM 6.1 and apparently the machine ID changed from the last keyfile. I updated the regular My Orders then logged into Beta My Orders to get a new keyfile, but that keyfile does't work, says it's "invalid".