Beta 8(b) and 8(c) / Release Candidate 2 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Post any bugs found in B8b here, though bugs of the minor / graphical-glitch variety may not be fixed until 2.0.1.

Re: Beta 8(b) / Release Candidate 2 Bug Report Thread

The 8(a) release had many dictionary files with newer timestamps than in the 8(b) release. For example: p2abc, p2ctbiz, p2gfcd, p2oxce and possibly others. I'm too lazy to examine them all right this minute... :oops:

garysaville

进士

Beta 8 will not run on my HTC Touch Diamond. Installing .cab files has always caused trouble for me. It did not work with any of the previous betas either. I had to use the older pleco.exe and the PlecoHWR.dll Is it possible to get the exe and .dll file that unpackaged so I can try dragging them over?
I am running mac OSX Leopard with Missing Sync.

GaryS

Fixed. I deleted everything and started from scratch and the install worked.

Just Wanted To Report That Using Instant Access (IA)
From The Command Bar Doesn't Seem To Work,
With Text (.txt) Files In 'Documents To Go' (DTG).
ie Nothing Happens, (I'm Using GB Encoding)
(DTGv8.003(239) This Old Version Was The Last One To Support CJKOS.)

Platform: Palm T5
Software: PD2b8(b)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

stephanhodges - I just checked this and the modification dates are identical on everything except Tuttle (which was updated) - any chance you might have extracted b8b using a different program than you used for b8?

garysaville - glad to hear it's fixed now. We've tried not to put the .exe and .dll files by themselves in the main install packages (mainly due to the possibility for mistakes - both of them can cause crashes if run from an SD card instead of from internal memory, and with the .exes there's also the possibility of getting the WM2003 and WM5/6 ones mixed up), but we could certainly offer a separate download with those files I guess...

The Duelist - have you tried changing the Instant Access "text extraction mode" in Preferences? You might have better luck with it set to "Experimental" - it's a bit slower than "Clipboard" but also compatible with a few more apps.

mikelove said:
The Duelist - have you tried changing the Instant Access "text extraction mode" in Preferences? You might have better luck with it set to "Experimental" - it's a bit slower than "Clipboard" but also compatible with a few more apps.
My Instant Access (IA) 'Text' Extraction Mode' Preference Was Set To Basic.
IA Works OK With Both 'Clipboard' & 'Experimental' Mode. 8)

Trobert

秀才

The flashcard converter will not exit. I have to restart my WM handheld after use, as neither the cancel nor the ok buttons work. Also, after conversion is completed, the import fails.

ipsi

状元

When starting a flashcard session (tested with review-only), with the fields to show set to Head/Pron/Def, it will insist there are no cards, even if there are plenty left. If I go Pron/Def, it works fine. Cause: Flashcards are Pron/Def only, there's no headword.

If I start a review-only session with fields set to 'all' it crashes. I'm assuming this is because I'm using Pleco in strange and unusual ways, and have my flashcards (assuming a form of /Head/Pron/Def/) as //あ/a... Note the Japanese Hiragana and lack of headword. I assume when set to all, it tries to play the audio, yes? And it obviously can't find it when the pron field isn't actually pinyin. Still shouldn't be crashing though. :) And this is with Beta 8(a). Downloading 8(b) now.

EDIT: Well, it doesn't crash, but I get the Microsoft screen saying "There has been an error, would you like to...". I can still stop the session, and Pleco seems to behave normally. Maybe it's the audio thread crashing, and thus it's not bringing Pleco down with it? Anyway, still occuring with Beta 8(b).

mfcb

状元

in some of my flashcards (example 萝卜,luobo) the hanzi hides part of the pinyin after reveal. the bo part appears to be leftmost next to the luo, (not centered as in windows xp) , but the "space" on the right of it still hides at least the "l" of luo..

i hope that you can at least reproduce, if i could not make myself clear...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Trobert - how does the import fail, does it only import some of the cards or does it not import any? The refusal to exit probably means that the converter crashed in the middle of converting - this might be due to a corrupted file, could you send me (mikelove at pleco) your 1.0 flashcard / user dictionary databases? They'd be in your handheld's My Documents folder under "PlecoDict Flashcards" and "PlecoDict User DB C-E" - there might be more than one (additional files having a string of numbers after their name), in which case we need all of them.

ipsi - The failure to show cards in review-only is actually normal behavior, though a debatable design decision I suppose - the main reason the software's so strict about that is because in some test modes (like multiple-choice) a card really isn't any good if it doesn't have all three fields. Interesting about this other crash... you might have better luck if you put the Hiragana in the headword instead of the pronunciation field, it would be trying to do less in that case. I'll take a look here and see if this is caused by something serious enough to not be puntable to 2.0.1 (though it still could get fixed earlier if other bugs come in and we need to do another release anyway).

mfcb - yeah, that's caused by a glitch in the WM font system which for various reasons it would be really tough to fix while we're still supporting Palm OS - if you set the anti-aliasing mode in the Display panel of Preferences to "None," that should prevent it from overlapping. (setting it to "Win Gray" might reduce the overlap too)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ipsi - it did turn out to be a bigger bug, actually (one that would affect audio on any flashcard with a blank headword), so I'll put up another minor fix release soon. Thanks for catching this.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

And on top of that I just found two new bugs with full-text search, one of which caused some searches to not return correctly, like "#hello" in ABC, and the other of which caused some glitches with the way the dictionaries were ordered, so all the more reason for a b8(c).

Hello Mike,

The "Hide: All Input on small screen" is working great on my iPAQ running Pleco 2.0 beta 8(b). It is so nice to have the additional screen space available when using my other input methods. Thank you for implementing this so quickly!

Darrol

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Glad to hear it! We're generally trying to avoid even very minor new features at this point, but in this case it was something we'd only changed a beta or two ago and something that worked differently (and in a way that a lot of people would prefer) in 1.0 so it seemed like a worthy exception.

mfcb

状元
ABC - dictionary, please check the entry for 扣除, the example sentence is shown twice in pinyin, but not in hanzi.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There are a lot of glitches like that in the ABC, actually - the example sentences are only in Pinyin in the printed version so the characters definitely need some more proofreading. A new edition of the ABC should be out in the not-too-distant future and we'll certainly try to get everyone an updated database once it is.

Forgive me if this was already discussed, but is there any intention to make the new Tuttle learner's dictionary usable for flashcards? At the moment the headword is not omitted (using a ~) in the examples/definition, so about 95% of the flashcards give away the headword if you look at the definition.

radioman

状元
I'm sure this is a revisit.

I want to be able to not use the Palm conduit, just simply load all Pleco onto an SD card, then slide over the 3 or 4 mandatory files to the Palm internal memory.

I tried this a few loads back thinking it would work and it did not, I did not spend a lot of time on it so it could have been operator error.

My beta is now expired, so I have to move the release candidates, and then have to move to the commercial when available. I figure I am going to go through a full install effort a few times, so if this can streamline the effort, I would like to give it another try.

koreth

榜眼
@radioman -

You can move most of the files over using a USB reader but be careful about upper and lower case. At least on my Mac, by default the files get created on the SD card with all-caps filenames, which means Pleco (Palm version) doesn't recognize them. Rename them to all lower case and you should be good to go. Would be cool if Pleco were case-insensitive when it looked for its files but I'm not sure that even counts as a bug since this isn't how you're really supposed to install that stuff.

And an actual bug report in 8c: In the "Manage Dictionaries" dialog, switching between "English" and "Chinese" doesn't change the list of dictionaries.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
llammamama- yes, that's one of a number of things we'll be improving in the post-2.0 Tuttle cleanup.

koreth - not seeing this here, and I just checked it on about half a dozen different models including a 650 - you're sure you have dictionaries loaded / accessible for both languages, right?