Can't find the option to enlarge Chinese characters.

daal

探花
Hi,

I read in the manual that there is an option to enlarge the Chinese characters, but I can't find it in the font settings. I am using Pleco 3.2.9 on an android phone. Is this option still available (I hope so!!) The place where I would really like this is in the entry body. If the Chinese is large enough for me to read, the English is huge.

Greetings - daal

daal

探花
I personally would like the option to enlarge the Chinese characters even more. As far as I am concerned, they are still too small compared to the English and pinyin, which are simply easier to read because the letters are more familiar. Also, it would be nice if the "Enlarge Chinese characters" setting also applied to the flashcards. As it is, there is a separate font setting for the flashcards which enlarges both the English and the Chinese.

P.s. If anyone is wondering, the Enlarge Chinese Font setting is now at Settings > Fonts.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Fair, but at some point this becomes typographically problematic - characters and English/pinyin appearing on the same line get so far apart in size as to make entries no longer readable.

Flashcard support: yes, should hopefully be able to do that in 4.0.

rizen suha

状元
agree 100% with @daal on the need for bigger hanzi vs pinyin (o zhuyin) for the reasons that @daal gives. in general @mikelove is very courteous in responding to all feature requests. that is VERY satisfying in and of itself having the developer himself looking at + acknowledging your issues and considering your suggestions. that being said i think that out of 1000 suggestions whereof 50 might seem important, desirable and practical by 90% of users, @mikelove seems to recognize the importance, desirability and practicality of only 5. considering that @mikelove has much more at stake, has a MUCH better insight into usability and what users really want and need (i really believe this) i would be satisfied with @mikelove recognizing the importance, desirability and practicality of 10/1000 instead of 5/1000. thanks :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well the other option would be for me to just call everything a great idea without specifically addressing it at all, thus not disappointing anyone.

But I'd rather give people the opportunity to push back against my objections, even if it means the occasional argument and a few people marching away in a huff. Personally, I consider even the current character enlargement feature to be an aesthetic trainwreck, and wouldn't have added it in the first place without a lot of prodding from users, so, much like, say, SRS (which I've been professing skepticism about for more than a decade now), an option for even bigger characters is the sort of thing I'd likely only consider if a lot of people want it.

My not liking an idea doesn't mean it won't happen, it just means I need more persuading :)

rizen suha

状元
Well the other option would be for me to just call everything a great idea without specifically addressing it at all, thus not disappointing anyone.

But I'd rather give people the opportunity to push back against my objections, even if it means the occasional argument and a few people marching away in a huff. Personally, I consider even the current character enlargement feature to be an aesthetic trainwreck, and wouldn't have added it in the first place without a lot of prodding from users, so, much like, say, SRS (which I've been professing skepticism about for more than a decade now), an option for even bigger characters is the sort of thing I'd likely only consider if a lot of people want it.

My not liking an idea doesn't mean it won't happen, it just means I need more persuading :)
okay, will keep at it then. thanks for listening.

daal

探花
Personally, I consider even the current character enlargement feature to be an aesthetic trainwreck, and wouldn't have added it in the first place without a lot of prodding from users, so, much like, say, SRS (which I've been professing skepticism about for more than a decade now), an option for even bigger characters is the sort of thing I'd likely only consider if a lot of people want it.

Not a trainwreck for me. A trainwreck would be not being able to read the characters at all....:cool:

I always prefered the pop-up def zoom option on ios over larger characters, so I could keep my text nice and neat but get a closer look at what I needed to when I wanted to.

This is the Pleco for Android forum ;)

Right. I requested the zoom function for Android before, but it doesn't seem like there are many others asking for this feature. I still believe it's a good middle ground between bad aesthetics and enlarged character functionality.