Can't install on Palm

SONORAMA

I'm trying to install Pleco 2.0 on my Palm TX but I'm having a terrible time of it. Both the automatic install and manual install options fail when I actually go to install on the Palm. Here's the specific error message I get:

- Install failed: C:\Program Files\Palm\PalmM\Install\p2audio-man-basic.pdb
Install synchronization failed

HotSync Error: Connection is lost (6410)

QUESTION: What/where is this "p2audio-man-basic.pdb" file? I can't find it anywhere amongst the Palm instal folders. I'd like to try installing without it but I can't. Help please!

SONORAMA

Thanks -- Now a new problem

Mike, carefully following the directions DID work. I was able to sucessfully download Pleco and hot sync to my Palm without issue.

But the new problem is -- where's Pleco? Despite the sucessful hot sync, I can't find it on my Palm. I'm looking at "all" categories, as the instructions state .. I just don't see Palm there amongst the applications. Where could it be?
Just to be sure the hot sync was sucessful, I copied the following from the log:

HotSync operation started for Mark's Palm on 02/16/09 15:19:03

- Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\PalmM\Install\p2audio-man-core.pdb
- Installed file: C:\Program Files\Palm\PalmM\Install\Pleco HWR Database.pdb
OK Install
Install - checking device capabilities
Expense - sync configured to Do Nothing
Quick Install - Sync configured to Do Nothing.
VersaMail
- Sync configured to Do Nothing
Documents To Go - sync configured to Do Nothing.
-- Backing up MMIDCache6 to C:\Program Files\Palm\PalmM\Backup\MMIDCache6.PDB
-- Backing up MMIDCache7 to C:\Program Files\Palm\PalmM\Backup\MMIDCache7.PDB
-- Backing up Pleco 2 ABC Dictionary to C:\Program Files\Palm\PalmM\Backup\Pleco_2_ABC_Dictionary.PDB
-- Backing up Pleco 2 21st Century E-C Dict to C:\Program Files\Palm\PalmM\Backup\Pleco_2_21st_Century_E-C_Dict.PDB
-- Backing up Package Installer to C:\Program Files\Palm\PalmM\Backup\Package_Installer.PRC
-- Backing up psysLaunchDB to C:\Program Files\Palm\PalmM\Backup\psysLaunchDB.PDB
-- Backing up PmTraceDatabase to C:\Program Files\Palm\PalmM\Backup\PmTraceDatabase.PDB
-- Backing up Saved Preferences to C:\Program Files\Palm\PalmM\Backup\Saved_Preferences.PRC
OK Backup

HotSync operation completed on 02/16/09 15:23:45

From the main Palm screen, select menu, then "Category". You need to locate the Pleco application, and assign it to a category for it to show up on a menu.

Different Palms have methods for viewing unassigned applications, and yours should also have something somewhere, but this will get it working for you. For example, I have a user created category called "Chinese" which I use for Pleco and several other items.

SONORAMA

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but my Palm TX has no "Menu" option. From the upper right hand corner I can select different categories, "Communication", "Games", "Main", "Unfiled" etc. I've gone through each of them(especially the "All" category) and cannot find Pleco anywhere.

Any idea where it might be?

Couple things

First, you could install Filez (http://www.nosleep.net/index.php?option ... &Itemid=27). This will let you look at the entire file structure of the Palm, to ensure you actually have it installed.

Second (or try first), reinstall just the PRC module. If you have the current 2.01 release, then it is named "Pleco 2.prc". For Windows, you can just double click this, and it will automatically run the install tool. Then do another hotsync.

Once that is installed, you should be able to find it. You can look in the hotsync log to verify that it was installed. If it doesn't run, then it might indicate that you haven't gotten the other pieces installed yet.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
To get to the menu on your TX, just tap on the menu icon at the bottom of the screen - it's the button just to the left of the clock. (not the one with a picture of a house on it, the button next to that)

Timbo5115

Having just gone thru a card install myself, I don't see it mentioned that on the phone itself (not memory card), you need to make sure that along with the pleco.prc file you have the copied the Pleco HWR Database.pdb file as well.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The software should copy that from the card automatically when you start up, actually - was there a prompt for that the first time you ran it?