Can't load Pleco onto external SD card

neilperks

进士
Hi Mike,

Just picked up a new HTC One M8 phone (4.4.2) and installed Pleco, however I cannot seem to install the data files on the external sd card.

I installed Pleco; changed the file location in settings to custom and input the external sd card address (which from what I can see on this phone is "/mnt/sdcard2/Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files") as I've done many times before. Then I proceeded to install all my add-ons, but it insists on installing them on the internal sd card (sdcard1), even though the settings say otherwise.

On previous occasions when I've set the custom directory on other phones it sometimes took a couple of reboots before the new directory took, but this time just can't get it to go at all, and the files just fill up my internal sd card.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers

Neil

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This is a case of 'userproofing run amok,' basically - even if you configure Pleco to use a particular directory, if it can't find any files in that directory and it can find files in another one of its usual startup directories, it will use that. (this seemed better than the alternative of having people's data files appear to go missing if they screw up something in settings)

So what you need to do is either:

a) Delete the Pleco data files in your internal SD card (the whole com.pleco.chinesesystem directory); or
b) Copy those files to the startup location on your external card, so that Pleco will see them there and not go looking for other directories to open them from.

neilperks

进士
Thanks Mike,

Second way didn't work for me, The copy command in ES File Explorer copied the directories, but always failed/refused in copying files.

First way was ok, but for some reason it also sets up a dummy file structure in extsd root directory. Deleted (hope this was ok) this and works ok.

Previously I always had files in the extsd directories from previous installs so just changed the location in Pleco this time I accidentally wiped the extsd :(.

Working ok now, thanks again.

Cheers

Neil

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No problem! We're soon going to add a prompt on first run to ask which card you want to put data files on (now that Google *finally* added an API for SD card discovery in Android 4.4).