Can't restore my user dictionary pqb backup to a new phone

domot123

Hi guys, first post on the forum. I tried the search function but couldn't find anyone post about this.

I recently got a new phone. I installed pleco and managed to back up and restore all my flash cards without issue. The only problem is that lots and lots of these flashcards are linked to my own sentences and definitions added into my own user created dictionary. I have backed this up to my google drive as a dict.pqb file. However whenever I try to "restore database" under flashcards or "restore from backup" under settings it won't recognise the file. The error I get is "Sorry, this file does not appear to be a Pleco settings backup."

Hoping someone can help!

Thanks for reading!!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry for the confusion. That backup can be restored via "Add New" or "Add User" in Settings / Manage Dictionaries.

domot123

Thanks Mike! But I can't seem to find that option?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190201-083252.jpg
    Screenshot_20190201-083252.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 311

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Have you activated your purchases on your new phone? User dictionaries require our flashcard add-on.

domot123

I don't think so, when I got the new phone I used an app to just copy everything over from my old phone. I have my flashcards but didn't do anything else. Sorry if this is a stupid question but how can I activate purchases? I'm using a huawei p20 pro. Thanks for your help!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Copy down the Pleco “Registration ID” from the “Registration” screen on your old phone and enter it in the same screen on the new one.

If you don’t have the old phone anymore and you bought Pleco from our website, see pleco.com/orders to recover your order. (If you bought from Google Play but can’t access it now, email us)

DenisP

@mikelove: I do have the very same problem. My old Galaxy died. I dl Pleco on my new Galaxy, re-entered the Registration ID. I restored the settings (I automatically backed up both settings and flashchard), but I cannot restore the pdb. No matter if I try from "Menu/import export/Restore Database" or "Settings/Dictionary Management/add user", Pleco cannot see the pdb file at all and I can't restore it.
I hope you can help me because I have 5 years worth of learning (and hopefully more to come!)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Is the file extension .pdb or .pqb? It should be .pqb if it's a flashcard database backup. Does it come up in the regular Android file browser?

DenisP

Sorry for the typo: yes it's a pqb file. When I search for it in my Android (File / dedicated folder), I can see it. When I select "restore Database" and Pleco looks for the file: Pleco can't see it and I can't select it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... could be some issue with decoding file types; can you try moving it to a different storage location on your device?

Another option would be to copy it directly into the /Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/databases directory on your device's storage, replacing the empty flashcard file that's there now. (use the same name)

DenisP

@mikelove I did try to move it to a different directory but still same issue. I tried the second option (Android/.../database + rename) and it worked like a charm! I'll keep note of your advice and reuse it! thank you VERY much again! Really wonderful support on that app (and really great app too!). Thank you!!