Cantonese-display-enabled PLC

Tezuk

举人
I'd be more than happy to take a listen. I'm no expert, but can probably give a good opinion from an advanced learner's perspective.

yoose

探花
mikelove said:
Anyone willing to listen to Cantonese recording samples from a couple of candidates and let me know what you think? (not posting them here but I can PM you with them)

Hi Mike,

Got the files, what kind of feedback are you looking for, is there anything specific you have in mind?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yoose said:
Got the files, what kind of feedback are you looking for, is there anything specific you have in mind?

Just your general impressions, which ones you think have the best voices / most standard accents. (don't forget the "Addl" folder too, that's another one who didn't get a number)

Wow, this update is simply awesome. I love everything about it.

Can't wait to further support Pleco with Cantonese-related purchases in the future, especially if they're on par or better than this.

Thanks Mike!

dustpuppy

榜眼
I agree it's spectacular that pleco is starting to support cantonese. it's a dream come true. I"m wondering whether we should start a thread that summarizes cantonese support in pleco ? more like a sticky thread? Because i'm worried I may miss some features.

Thanks again Mike !!

pleco10

秀才
Hi Mike, really appreciate your efforts in regard to adding Canto support. Can't wait for Canto audio.

Just adding to dom's point above regarding lazy pronunciations - yeah gotta be careful with that, especially when recording professionally for a dictionary - e.g. 五 (ng) pronounced lazily as mmmm.

Might wanna take a look at this for a brief overview:
http://www.cantophilia.com/2007/11/lazy-pronuncations.html

As for Canto pronunciations, I agree HK would be the way to go - considering Hongkongers would consider many mainland (even Guangdong area) and diaspora pronunciations to be inaccurate/off - 歪音.

Also, I hope you guys can get Longman's HK traditional C-E dictionary! (So I can throw out my book version!)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
pleco10 said:
Hi Mike, really appreciate your efforts in regard to adding Canto support. Can't wait for Canto audio.

Thanks! Actually in the midst of recording it now, we think we've got some pretty standard accents.

pleco10 said:
Also, I hope you guys can get Longman's HK traditional C-E dictionary! (So I can throw out my book version!)

I don't think we're likely to do any more licenses with Longman, honestly. But we are just about to sign our first natively traditional C-E dictionary from another source.

kleung21

can't wait to purchase your cantonese products.

having said that, the original link for the cantonese PLC dict for ios seems broken. can you check on that please.

thanks

mingdao

Hey.

First I want to congratulate Pleco team for their work. I have learned more Chinese after using Pleco for 6 months than spending months in Zhejiang University and Taiwan University, and much cheaper of course. The flashcard module is just amazing.

I am moving after summer to Guangzhou and I really want to learn Cantonese. Is the cantonese audio expected to be released anytime soon? I would be an instant buyer.

謝謝大家。

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
First I want to congratulate Pleco team for their work. I have learned more Chinese after using Pleco for 6 months than spending months in Zhejiang University and Taiwan University, and much cheaper of course. The flashcard module is just amazing.

I am moving after summer to Guangzhou and I really want to learn Cantonese. Is the cantonese audio expected to be released anytime soon? I would be an instant buyer.

Thanks!

Should be out with our Big Update this fall, but can't be more specific than that.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's done, just have to release the app update with it. On iOS we've also got free but low-quality Cantonese text-to-speech provided by the operating system, so if you want to hear example sentences or documents read out loud in Cantonese you can get that too.

ningwen

Hey!

Congratulations for Pleco, amazing software. I am interested in the Cantonese audio, will it be released for Android? If so, could you say approximately when it will be?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, timing is still TBD as we're working on a different set of audio files to replace the ones we have now (which have some problems) and we may not want to release it on Android until we've got the new files in hand.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Cantonese display / search are baked in the new version, as is audio; we have Cantonese audio recordings available for $5 and a Cantonese-to-Mandarin 方言词典 for $20, the built-in PLC dictionary includes Cantonese readings for its many Mandarin entries but doesn't yet cover words that only exist in Cantonese.