Cantonese in the flashcard system

I'm in the process of learning both Cantonese and Mandarin. I am more familiar with Cantonese and am now catching up with Mandarin. However, my general knowledge of characters is very basic.
I'm taking both a Cantonese and a Mandarin class, so I'm trying to separate my cards by each language respectively. I have purchased the basic bundle and am now using the full flashcard system.
Because my Cantonese option is turned on, I am able to look up characters and see the pinyin for both cantonese and mandarin. But when I make them into flashcards, during the test session the answer only shows up the mandarin pinyin and not the cantonese. Is there any way to change this? Even the text file reader will show the cantonese.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Install 3.2 beta 1 (see the thread in this forum) - that adds Cantonese support to flashcards. (feedback on it is extremely welcome!)

naffl

Install 3.2 beta 1 (see the thread in this forum) - that adds Cantonese support to flashcards. (feedback on it is extremely welcome!)

heya. thanks for working on this! been waiting for it a long time, great u guys implemented it : -)

I have a question about using it though (just installed 3.2 via gplay store). I intentionally turned off pinyin so I only have the cantonese jyutping in my dictionairy entries. however, within the flashcard system, there is only pinyin and no jyutping, and I could manage to tweak that in the settings so far : -/

help is appreciated. thanks again : -)

naffl

alright, now I can use it : -)

I think it's great. being able to set the tone color is nice as well : -) hehe really loving it. this is already a great improvement!!! thank you!

2 points:

A) I tried to add a custom Cantonese flashcard from the search results view, which wouldn't work though. shows me no card saved message nor can I find any created new card within my collection.

B) so far I haven't purchased Cantonese tts , would this be available within the flashcard view as well?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
A) Sorry, what was the full text of that error message?

B) Yes, if you bought that add-on then you would be able to hear audio for flashcard words through it.

naffl

a) hm sorry seem to have mixed something up. tried to add a sentence from the search catalogue view, somehow I see the created cards now. I think if you could add a little grey box message appearing for successful creation (just like it is done with adding standard dictionairy entries to your flashcard set) that would probably make the experience smoother and perceived a little more reliable.

b)gladly noted : )

c) for the "show mandarin when revealed" option. would it be possible to maybe show jyutping/yale/... first and then pinyin? otherwise I really have to force myself to overlook the pinyin to not get confused.
the option itself is great and useful but I think it would only be used to compare the two and then I feel the cantonese pronounciation should be the first one to see.

naffl

IF the reverse order cannot be done then strangely enough those PY /JP signs in front of the pronounciations could also aid a quicker focus of the eyes ( like in dicitonairy defition mode - see attached screenshot)

d) I noticed another formating error with the canto pronounciation brackets (only happens in bubble definition view (>because my headwords are set to bold anyways, but non-bold brackets are actually nicer-looking to me) - see attached screenshot)

e) also, another feedback: pleco's startup loading speed really is noticeably faster for me now : -) thank you for that as well!

Attachments

• pleco_canto1.jpg
    pleco_canto1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 589
Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
a) Makes sense, yes.

c) Makes sense, yes.

d) Yeah, that's an ugly one - thanks!

e) Great!