Cantonese Yale romanization

LantauMan

进士
It would be great if Cantonese Yale romanization could be included among the info field options. I really appreciate having Cantonese pronunciations as an option in the PLC dictionary definitions. But I think Jyutping is an abomination, completely nonintuitive, and nobody but nobody uses it outside of linguistics circles. Even most printed English-Cantonese dictionaries stick with Yale.

Here in the Cantonese (language) capital, Hong Kong, all romanization in government and journalism, and on every shop and street sign, is more or less based on Yale or Sidney Lau (which is based on Yale), so there is always a complete disconnect between what you see in daily life and a minority of dictionaries which use Jyutping (including Pleco).

So, a big wish for Cantonese Yale romanizations, at the very least as an option in the Info panel.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We already added Yale display support to our engine for the big iOS update, so it'll come to Android when we finish porting that stuff back to it.

Search is currently Jyutping-only, though, since parsing a Yale search string is much trickier than a Jyutping one on account of the extra 'h's added for 4th/5th/6th tone.

LantauMan

进士
Great. I'm not too worried about search in Yale romanization, and I know it would be a mess. I just want Cantonese Yale results so I can pronounce unfamiliar words based on the system I spent years learning, while Jyutping simply makes no sense to me. Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Clearly a lot of depth of feeling on this issue - actually just had an email today from somebody expressing the hope that we support Jyutping. Luckily there don't seem to be a lot of people advocating for Guangdong / Meyer-Wempe / Barnett-Chao / Cantonese Pinyin / etc or we'd really be in trouble. (thanks to the well-deserved failure of Tongyong Pinyin we seem to be OK with just Hanyu Pinyin and Zhuyin for Mandarin)