CC-CEDICT Full-text issues?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Just had an email / Chinese-Forums exchange recently with someone who was unable to do full-text searches in CC-CEDICT, and while in his case it was cleared up by a reinstall, I'd still like to try to get the bottom of this: has anyone here similarly had trouble searching CC-CEDICT or other free dictionaries for English words using a full-text search? Perhaps in a situation where you've installed several free dictionaries along with demo versions of some paid ones?

Ivanru

Yes I am experiencing issues I can't seem to get the ccedict dictionary to work for English entries. I tried deleting the dictionary and re-installing but didn't work. I haven't tried to re install the entire program yet but I have installed updates several times as I got pleco when it just came out, so the updates should function as re-installs no? Pretty much I downloaded the first version from iTunes and that same day upgraded to the full complete package and then I guess installed ccedict as well, it is after all one of my favorite dictionaries. I am hesitant do a re install because how do I prove I have purchased it already or will iTunes just let me download it again automatically by looking at my history???

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are you actually enabling full-text search? Try entering a search query and then tapping the Full button (inserts a # before it) - does that let you search CC-CEDICT? You can get that to happen automatically (without the Full search) by going into Settings / Dictionary / Search Results and turning on "Include in E-C srch") - that setting will probably be on by default in the 2.1 update.

If you've tried that and CC-CEDICT still doesn't search for English correctly, try deleting CC-CEDICT (from the Installed tab in Pleco), exiting Pleco, reopening it, and re-downloading CC-CEDICT; does that help at all?

But yes, if you need to do a reinstall iTunes has a record of your purchase and will let you restore it; that's not even necessary on the same device, though, just enter your same Registration ID (or tap on the link in your original registration email) and that should be enough by itself to reactivate the software.

Ivanru

Hi Mike,

Ya,that seems to have fixed it, now I can search CCEDICT which is perfect. Thanks for the help.

"You can get that to happen automatically (without the Full search) by going into Settings / Dictionary / Search types turning on "Include in E-C srch") - that setting will probably be on by default in the 2.1 update. - Mike"

-

foofurrah

Hi Mike-

I also had this issue (actually why I came to the forum this morning). I just downloaded 2.1 this morning and still had the same problem until I adjusted the setting you mentioned. My results are much better now, thanks for the guidance.