Change audio speed in Pleco 3

Miguel

状元
I have realized that there is a big difference in the speed of audio recordings between Pleco 3 and Pleco 2. Is there anyway to increase the speed so it sounds similar to the ones in Pleco 2? or is it that the new recordings have that speed to focus on the tones pronunciation?

Miguel

状元
Hi mike,
In Settings / Audio only have these options:
-Preferred gender
-Use TTS if no recording
-Voice recognition Language
(no trace of the Hui TTS or Lulu TTS Speed)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sounds like your TTS library went missing, then - check Add-ons, is it available under Purchased but not Downloaded (in Paid) or under Updated?

Miguel

状元
In Purchased but not Downloaded:
-Extended (both audio and female)
-Mandarin Female text to speech

Updated is empty

Miguel

状元
Have downloaded the Mandarin Female TTS and now I have the TTS sentence options. No TTS Hui or Lulu Speed options yet:(
Edit: seems that the TTS Female options affect the Female TTS speed. So now in my flashcards the female talks fast and male slow.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's normal, then - if you set the audio to only play female then you shouldn't get that alternating slow male audio, but otherwise we assume that you'd rather have slow male audio than none at all.

Miguel

状元
Yes, I would like to be able to have both. I prefer male voice and it is quite annoying having one voice fast and the other one slow.
Is there any way to correct this? Reinstalling would help? I know I didn't have this feature since I updated to Pleco 3

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can turn off the option in Settings / Audio to fall back on TTS if there's no recording - that will bring back the old behavior of having everything slow. Or you could set audio to only play female (same screen) in which case you'd get everything fast.

Miguel

状元
So there is no way of getting the app installed correctly? :(
Reinstalling won't solve anything? Any idea why this happens?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, how was it different before?

The option for fast male audio was only added in the most recent update, via our new (paid) male TTS add-on, so there's no way you could have had that in a previous version. If the audio sounded a bit faster for some words, it might have been because you had the extended male audio database installed and that database has been accidentally deleted - if that's the case you can re-download it in Add-ons / "Purchased but not downloaded."

Miguel

状元
I still have Pleco 2 in my old broken smartphone and there, in audio preferences, under Text-to-Speech I have:
TTS Voice
Hui TTS Speed
Lulu TTS Speed
(It seems that both work and changes the speed)

In Pleco3 under Text-to-Speech I only have:
TTS Voice

In my new phone, after transferring all my files and installing Pleco again, after updating I had both Pleco2 and Pleco3 installed, so I had to uninstall Pleco2. Could this be the reason why?

Edit: I have realized that in Pleco 3 I don't have the Sandhi transform option. I will send you a screencap

Miguel

状元
Here is what I have in Audio settings
YL2f6vG30nCmLnnN

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-08-09-48-02.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-08-09-48-02.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 704

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We removed the sandhi transform option - always on, now - but the missing Lulu setting means that the Lulu TTS add-on is also missing; are you sure you actually had it before? (it used to show up even if you hadn't purchased it, we added code to remove it to avoid confusion) If you did have it before, is there any chance it's missing now? (check Add-ons / Purchased but not downloaded)

Could you describe specifically how the audio *behaved* in the old app? I'm having a hard time understanding how it's working differently for you now.

Miguel

状元
Sorry, maybe I was not being clear. Try to make it clearer now :)

-------------
In my old phone with Pleco 2 and downloading the Audio pronunciation male and female.
In audio preferences, under Text-to-Speech I have:
TTS Voice
Hui TTS Speed
Lulu TTS Speed

With this configuration I can change the speed for both male and female audio (I had both at 80%). And also had the Alternating option on in TTS Voice.

------------
In my new phone with Pleco 3.
In audio preferences I have what you can see in the previous post, so right now I can only change the speed of the female audio.

In my Add-ons. Under Purchased but not downloaded:
-Extended audio (male)
-Extended audio (female)

Updated (empty)

Under Installed:
-Stroke order diagrams
-OCR
-NWP
-Chinese Text-to-Speech (Hui)
-Text File Reader
-Flashcard System

--------------------

So, the main difference is that in my old app I could change the speed for both male and female audios and now I can't. And now I can only change the female audio speed after installing the TTS female option.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There was never an option to change the speed for male audio - do you know whether or not you purchased the Lulu add-on? It's possible that since Lulu has a deeper voice than Hui you were confusing it with a male voice even though it's actually a female one.

Miguel

状元
Yes! that's right. I could only change between Hui and Lulu! So both were female voices :oops: . And now there is no more that distinction between Hui and Lulu, right?
Now I get it, so if I want to be able to change the male speed I have to buy that other add-on.
So now I can configure the audio settings knowing that the male will have the slow speed (good for checking tone pronunciation) and I can change the female speed (in case I want a more natural pronunciation) :)
Thanks for your patience and sorry for all this mess

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There's still a distinction - it alternates between them as your female voice. So either set Pleco's audio gender female to just have hui or lulu alternating, or see it to alternating to have it alternate between male and (hui or lulu alternating).

If Lulu is missing (sounds like it still is) you can re-download it in Add-ons.

Miguel

状元
Yes, it seems I only have the Hui voice installed.
Don't see any Lulu in Add-ons to download. What would be the name for the download?
Edit: uninstalled and reinstalled Pleco again, downloaded all add-ons available but still have no Lulu voice

Last edited: