Character search by components (not radical search)

etm001

状元
Hi,

I'd like to search for characters by components, either:
  • Typing pinyin "riyue" returns 明.
  • Type/selecting 日 and 月 returns 明.
There's radical search but it's not the fastest way to search by components (lots of scrolling, hunting for characters, etc.)

I believe Sogo IME allows for this by typing "u[character components]", i.e., "u日月" returns 明 as a suggestion. I don't believe either the Google or iOS IMEs support this functionality. (On a Mac, after entering 日月, you can press "shift+space" to show the Structure window which contains possible matches.

Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Lots of requests for this over the years, the main problem we haven't managed to solve yet is how to input the components - picking a second one out of a large table isn't really any faster than searching for a matching character in a radical index, and while using known characters might work for 明 there are an awful lot of characters it doesn't work for. And TBH our handwriting input is accurate enough now that we're uncertain whether this is something worth putting a lot of effort into - it makes sense in an IME on a non-touchscreen device but we aren't currently supporting any of those.

Lots of requests for this over the years, the main problem we haven't managed to solve yet is how to input the components - picking a second one out of a large table isn't really any faster than searching for a matching character in a radical index, and while using known characters might work for 明 there are an awful lot of characters it doesn't work for. And TBH our handwriting input is accurate enough now that we're uncertain whether this is something worth putting a lot of effort into - it makes sense in an IME on a non-touchscreen device but we aren't currently supporting any of those.

How about zisea/yedict's two-part (两分) system?

zisea.com/zslf.htm

They have 两分字元 for each character on look-up as well.

It isnt perfect but it's somewhat intuitive.

When handwriting input fails that's always my next choice for finding characters - then copying them into Pleco.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Interesting, but seems like it might be considerably less convenient on a 4.7-inch screen.