character search

ynm1000

This is probably a fairly simply answer...How do I find what a character means without pinyin or English? There are some characters that are not really words but add-ons needed for a sentence, i.e., le or de. There may not be a radical associated with it. I am learning Chinese in a class and there are characters that are not explained enough that I can find in Pleco.
Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ynm1000 said:
This is probably a fairly simply answer...How do I find what a character means without pinyin or English? There are some characters that are not really words but add-ons needed for a sentence, i.e., le or de. There may not be a radical associated with it. I am learning Chinese in a class and there are characters that are not explained enough that I can find in Pleco.

Best bet for that is probably handwriting input - you can turn on the basic free one built into iOS via the Settings app / General / Keyboard / International Keyboards, or you can try out / purchase our more accurate, fullscreen handwriting recognizer via the "Add-ons" tab in Pleco.