Character/word pronunciations after upgrade

crush

秀才
First off, it seems like the synthetic voices have been done away with? That's fine with me, but now it seems like all multi-syllable words are divided into syllables with a noticeable space (maybe half a second?) between each syllable. 3rd tone sandhis also seem to be gone, though i've got it enabled in the audio preferences. Before only words that didn't have a recording used the syllable-by-syllable synthetic speech, but it was still quick like the recordings and also observed sandhi transformations. Now everything seems to be spoken slowly syllable-by-syllable. In 打折, for example, i hear da3 (full third tone, rather than just the lowering of the tone), a split second space, then zhe2. Is there a new setting i need to change or is this something that changed from the last version(s)?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
They haven't been done away with, but we updated the database file for Hui; are you not seeing an alert about that when you try to play an example sentence? Anyway, if you go into Add-ons / Updated you should be able to download the new file from there, after which it'll start working again.