chinesepod

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not directly, as far as we know - we contacted them a while ago about collaborating on something like that and they weren't interested. However, if you just copy-and-paste the word lists into a text file and format it correctly for Pleco you should be able to get the words into our software that way.

daniu

榜眼
mikelove said:
Not directly, as far as we know - we contacted them a while ago about collaborating on something like that and they weren't interested. However, if you just copy-and-paste the word lists into a text file and format it correctly for Pleco you should be able to get the words into our software that way.

Hi ZhuGeLiang!

Maybe they get more interested if you also ask them ...

regards
Daniel

sfrrr

状元
Has anyone (besides me) tried to export the CPod vocab files and them import them into Pleco flashcards? I can't get the hanzi or pinyin to show up correctly. All I get is that string of $%^& codes and believe me, I've tried. The one thing I haven't done is import them into PD flashcards without correcting them and hope that PD works some magic on them. Seem likely?

Sandra

ldolse

状元
Chinesepod changed their flashcard export format this past April, and it's been a bit screwed up since then. I don't have a premium account there at the moment, the advice here was good several months ago, I'm not 100% certain if it still applies.

They didn't support the Pleco format directly at that time, and based on this thread I don't think that's changed. I've asked numerous times, and other cpod users have too. They don't seem to have much interest in supporting any third party chinese tools, even when it's complementary...

So when you download the vocab list export from their site the first problem seems to be the encoding. According to my notes you should be able open up the file in notepad and view the data without it being corrupted. As you noted below, most other applications will show garbled data as they don't recognize the encoding. At that point you need to resave the file as a .csv with a UTF-8 encoding - Notepad will fix whatever is wrong with their exported format.

Now you can open the file in excel to massage it into a Pleco format, but there is also a bug in excel - you can't doubleclick on the file to open in, you need to launch excel and use file->Open to get the file to load correctly.

You may also be able to use ZDT as well - I haven't tested the new version, but he was working on some generic conversion routines to convert from one flashcard format to another, and ZDT does support the Pleco output format. If you're not familiar with zdt you can check it out at zdt.sourceforge.net.

sfrrr

状元
Thanks. I have ZDT and will try that today.But first, I'll try the notepad trick. Thanks again.

Sandra