Choosing a Chinese Name

jamesd.nz

Hi,

I have been trying to choose a name in Chinese for while, but whenever I ask native Chinese about what is a good name I get widely varying opinions as to what actually constitutes a good name in Chinese. Mainly I would like something that sounds like a native name, with characters that mean something positive, and is not what my Taiwanese friends call a "market name" (ie. half the people in a market have that name..)
So, what I would like to ask is - how have people gone about choosing their names? Are there any guides for foreigners wanting a Chinese name? Could anyone give me advice about how to choose a name?

Thanks,

James

ipsi

状元
You wouldn't happen to be someone I know would you? You have the same first name, last name starts with the same letter, also in New Zealand (assuming, as you appended .nz to your name). If you don't recognise the name 'ipsi' though, don't worry about it.

As to your question, there's a bunch of different ways - you could pick characters you like, and start making names until your friends think it sounds appropriate. If I were to make one for myself, I'd probably take something that sounds like my name, but has uncommon characters. Also, remember to choose a family name from the list of valid ones. Can't just pick any arbitrary character. I'd probably go with one that sounds like yours, if you can find one.

Other options could possibly involve seeing an astrologer for which characters would be most auspicious given your date of birth and suchlike, though I'm not sure how much stock the Chinese put in that.

I'm sure others will have better suggestions, but that's what comes to me off the top of my head.

radioman

状元
James,

With regard to selecting a name, it is a good and very important issue - Ipsi's comments I think are right on. I will add my own additional comments below.

1) If you are in school or at work, ask your colleagues for some recommended names. Start creating a list, maybe get like 10 or 20 names. Once you get a list together, then ask another non-related group of trusted people which they think is best.

I would go with something really standard - common last name, 3 characters in total.

2) I would try to find a name that phonetically is related to my own, but it is not real important should you not find a good phonetic fit. Phonetic consideration should be part of the first round to see if some cool name would sound like your own. But if not, its not a big deal (mine is fully dreamed up, nothing to do with how my English name sounds and has served me well), so do not keep to the phonetic route at the expense of a good Chinese name.

Having a name that is reasonably normal is REALLY useful when in China living life. (e.g., like telling the laundry people what your name is for a ticket. I saved my name in my phone and could show people by bringing up my address book. Now, I can write it or tell them and get the point across most of the time.

Having a good standard name becomes even more important and the Hospital or the Bank.

Bank of China tried to use my English Name and they could not make any sense of it (I did not have my Chinese name with me at the time and could not remember it). I filled out papers for a checking account, savings account, a bank card, phone banking, and internet banking. In the end, their computer system could not accept my name for internet banking because it was too long. So I had to sign 5 more pieces of paper to reverse the initial account setups, and then they had to hodgepodge my name so some shortened English version. Then 5 more pieces of signed slips to get the account that way. So I left that day with 15 slips of papers. I believe they would have taken my Chinese name of 3 characters, and I might have left with only 5 papers.

The Hospital definitely took my Chinese name and ran with it easily. They had my passport info and all, but all filing is under my Chinese name. I did not have any major problem, but they addressed issues with a hurt foot, back, etc. If I go back, I just tell them my name and they pull the file.

For places like hotels, hospitals, etc., (just about everyplace but airlines) they likely want to see passports and names, but they want to enter a Chinese name into their reference system, so having a normal Chinese name again provides benefit.

As for finding my own Chinese name, I had a party at my flat with some coworkers. The party was not for my name, but kinda wound up being that way. They knocked it around for a good hour, and came up with mine.