Converting pdf files and viewing them in Pleco reader (Android)

Ricky1194

秀才
I have tried Calibre to convert the file from pdf to txt and all I get is jumbled text in the reader. I tried changing the font family to a Microsoft JhengHei but that didn't help. It is completely unreadable nonsense. What am I doing wrong here?

Ricky1194

秀才
Here is a screen shot of what I am looking at.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-07-30-09-27-33.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-30-09-27-33.png
    123.5 KB · Views: 591

Ricky1194

秀才
Now that I see the location of this thread (I originally found it via google search) I see that I put it in the wrong area. I am using the document reader on the Android Pleco, if that changes things.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It may be that this particular PDF doesn't have embedded text in a usable format / encoding - if you open it in a desktop PDF viewer, are you able to copy-and-paste text and have it appear correctly in another app?

Ricky1194

秀才
It may be that this particular PDF doesn't have embedded text in a usable format / encoding - if you open it in a desktop PDF viewer, are you able to copy-and-paste text and have it appear correctly in another app?

You are correct sir. I copied it from the PDF into Word and it showed up as the same gibberish. Is there anything that can be done?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Only option in that case is to run it through an OCR system - ours doesn't support PDF at the moment due to Android's lack of a built-in PDF decoder, but there are lots of desktop Chinese OCR programs available that can handle PDFs.