Converting simlified flashcard database to traditional

Hello and sorry if this is a stupid question. I recently installed the Chinese Made Easier flashcard database here on the forum and all the cards are simplified. Is there a way to convert the database inside or outside of Pleco? I've been looking around and not having any luck. Thank you!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Go into Organize Cards / Edit / Batch and use the batch command to add traditional characters to your cards - after that, they should show up correctly in traditional.

RFK

Hi Mike,

I'm making my own Heisig Traditional Book 2 flashcards after making them and completing them for Book 1. The online sources for Traditional Book 2 are hard to find. I can only find a data file for flashcards of Simplified only. It only has Simplified headwords so I am currently testing different methods of adding the Traditional headwords and have been trying the above method to no avail. Any advice? IPhone X latest updates.

Thanks,
Robert

Shun

状元
I'm making my own Heisig Traditional Book 2 flashcards after making them and completing them for Book 1. The online sources for Traditional Book 2 are hard to find. I can only find a data file for flashcards of Simplified only. It only has Simplified headwords so I am currently testing different methods of adding the Traditional headwords and have been trying the above method to no avail. Any advice? IPhone X latest updates.

Hello Robert,

perhaps you didn't select all the cards in the flashcard category before going into Batch (Apply changes to "Selected cards"), or all the cards in the category (Apply changes to "listed cards")? When you tried it, did the process just finish silently?

Regards,

Shun

RFK

Hi Shun,
Thanks for your reply. I actually performed this on only one character - just testing to make sure it would work otherwise I'll do other things like massage the data outside of Pleco. Here are the three single character files that I tried it on. I imported these and then followed the instructions above. Now I'm thinking to import the entire file Remembering the Simplified Hanzi.txt that has been shared on this forum and not put it in my dictionary, then do a batch conversion on the entire set (about 1500 characters) and see what happens. If it works I'll export it and add the entire explanation to each card just like in Heisig's Book RTH.
Thanks,
Robert

Attachments

• RTH2-12.txt
    203 bytes · Views: 372
  • RTH2-10.txt
    72 bytes · Views: 411
  • RTH2-02.txt
    273 bytes · Views: 399

Shun

状元
Hi Robert,

you're welcome! I'm glad to hear you've determined a course of action. Perhaps the functionality of adding Traditional characters even depends on how many Chinese-English dictionaries you have installed, but this is something that probably only @mikelove knows.

When you import flashcards, you could also activate Fill in missing fields. That should supplement the Traditional characters, as well.

Cheers,

Shun

Last edited:

RFK

Hi Robert,

you're welcome! I'm glad to hear you've determined a course of action. Perhaps the functionality of adding Traditional characters even depends on how many Chinese-English dictionaries you have installed, but this is something that probably only @mikelove knows.

When you import flashcards, you could also activate Fill in missing fields. That should supplement the Traditional characters, as well.

Cheers,

Shun
Hi Shun,

Hmmmm. That's interesting because I've got a lot of dictionaries. OK, cool I'll try that import setting as well.

Thanks,
Robert

Shun

状元
Hi Robert,

yeah, or maybe the Simplified-to-Traditional conversion isn't dictionary-based. I hope you'll soon find the culprit.

You're welcome,

Shun