Copying dictionary text in Pleco for Android?

SongSci

秀才
When using Pleco for iPad, I can easily copy text from a Pleco dictionary entry.:)

But I can't do that in Pleco for Android (Bluestacks emulator on Windows desktop). :(:(

Any suggestions? I do most of my work on the desktop rather than the iPad.

Shun

状元
Hi SongSci,

I believe this is more likely a limitation of Bluestacks than one of Pleco. I, at least, have never been able to copy content over the clipboard when using an Android emulator/VM. But @mikelove can give you a more definitive answer.

Cheers,

Shun

SongSci

秀才
Thanks for your reply, Shun. I wonder, however, if Pleco for Android on a genuine Android device (e.g., a tablet or smart phone) can do copying and pasting from Pleco dictionaries. If so, that would confirm your surmise that this is a Bluestacks limitation, not of Pleco for Android.

Shun

状元
You're welcome! That's a great point, I can test it for us in a few hours. I have a Pixel lying around.

Shun

状元
Hi SongSci,

I copied the following text from a definition of 和:

Screenshot_20211105-213935.png

and pasted it into Android's built-in text editor:

Screenshot_20211105-214112.png

I found that Pleco on Android only allows you to copy one meaning at once, whereas Pleco on iOS allows you to copy a full definition. Probably iOS doesn't allow apps to control text selections as finely.

Good night,

Shun

jurgen85

榜眼
Selecting text usually works for me, but sometimes not. What always works is to long-press the dictionary label like "PLC" and select "copy full entry".

SongSci

秀才
Make that an "Oh wow" for me too. I can confirm that the tip works on all my dictionaries, both those that came bundled with Pleco and those purchased later as add-ons; and that I successfully tested this on Pleco for Android running on a Windows desktop under the Bluestacks' Android emulator.

Thanks Shun and jurgen85 for uncovering this major breakthrough in Pleco for Android functionality within a few hours of my post.

SongSci

秀才
One more request, Shun, if I'm not being too much of a pest! There's still a question of whether the loss of dictionary-order settings between sessions that I'm experiencing in Bluestacks is a Bluestacks flaw or rather in Pleco for Android. Your Pixel could provide the answer.

Pixel test procedure:
1. Go to Settings => Manage Dictionaries => change the dictionary order to something other than the default setting.
2. Completely exit Pleco.
3. Restart Pleco. Go back to Manage Dictionaries. Has the dictionary order reverted to the default or has your non-standard ordering been preserved between sessions?

Shun

状元
Hi SongSci,

Sure, we can always help each other out. :) I did that, and the order is perfectly preserved. The way it was before:

Screenshot_20211106-123703.png

And the way it was after the change (preserved between complete app restarts):

Screenshot_20211106-123800.png

I'm guessing it might have to do with your home directory inside Bluestacks being read-only or otherwise non-permanent.

Shun

SongSci

秀才
Many thanks for doing the experiment, Shun!

But have a look again at your before and after screen shots. The order did change between sessions! Before, "Das Neue" was first; after, it moved back to second. My conclusion is that the flaw is in Pleco for Android rather than Bluestacks.

Shun

状元
You're welcome! I wasn't clear enough, that was me moving the ABC Dictionary up, to see if my change was preserved between quits and restarts, which it was. So Pleco on Pixel is doing exactly the right thing. :)

Last edited:

SongSci

秀才
Oh, I see now. Your first image represented your usual pre-experimental setting. Your second image actually captured two different experimental moments: the moving of ABC up to #1 position in the first experimental session and ABC still holding that #1 position after exiting the first session and starting from afresh a second session.

Very good. Thanks for clearing the matter for once and for all. With this evidence I can now contact Bluestacks and ask them if there are any workarounds or whether they could address the matter in a forthcoming update.