default english dictionary

yuvalcho

举人
hey.

1. i tried searching it, but found nothing...can i make the default english dictionary to be the Pleco one (PLC)?

2. not related...when in flashcards, i want to look at the dictionary definition of the word. is there a way get to there by 1 button click? i usually press the character, then i have to mark the other character and only then go to the definition...which is a bit annoying, when u want to see the pleco examples.

edit:
3. when writing a new definition in USR dict, is there a way to use the Pleco pinyin input system...cause i m only able to use english or iPod default input system which i dont like so much

p.s
i have iPod touch

thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yuvalcho said:
1. i tried searching it, but found nothing...can i make the default english dictionary to be the Pleco one (PLC)?

Not at the moment, but you will be able to do that in the next release.

yuvalcho said:
2. not related...when in flashcards, i want to look at the dictionary definition of the word. is there a way get to there by 1 button click? i usually press the character, then i have to mark the other character and only then go to the definition...which is a bit annoying, when u want to see the pleco examples.

In the "Display" configuration screen for flashcards, set "Definition sections" to "Show all" - that will make examples visible from the get-go.

yuvalcho said:
3. when writing a new definition in USR dict, is there a way to use the Pleco pinyin input system...cause i m only able to use english or iPod default input system which i dont like so much

Not sure what you mean - we don't have a Pinyin input system. Are you maybe running a jailbroken iPod that replaces the built-in keyboard with a third party alternative in some apps but not in others?

yuvalcho

举人
as always...a quick reply. u r the best!!!

1. cant wait for the new version (though i m a bit worried i m trailing behind with my old generation iPod)

In the "Display" configuration screen for flashcards, set "Definition sections" to "Show all" - that will make examples visible from the get-go.
this almost what i wanted. i mean it helps in some of the situation, when i already made a flash card out of a pleco one, but if i made a flashcard out of a different dict, lets say CC, then i still have to make the whole procedure just to check out different definitions. i just wish there was a button to send me directly to the definition in the dict. i mean it's a bit annoying that i have to mark both characters in order to go the dict definition. maybe changing the default in the flashcards to mark all of the chars when i press them would help, but then again, it'll b troublesome for someone whom just wants to check out 1 of the characters, so i guess i need my "go to dictionary for this flashcard" direct button.

3. ok, sorry, i guess i didnt explain myself very well...how could u not understand something that was totally clear in my own head (-: funny how we assume ppl know what we think sometimes..."assumption...the mother of all mistakes"...
anyways...now that i think of it might be just incorrect to implement anyways. when u search for something in the dictionary u can just use pinyin, meaning english keyboard, and it finds it. now when i want to insert a flashcard with a sentence it means writing a lot of characters, but then PLECO doesnt autocomplete ot guess my words, even though they r simple ones, so i have to use the iPod pinyin keyboard, which i dont really like, i feel yours is better, and i wish i could use it in a way. let's face it using the writing 1 isnt easy for someone whom cant write all of these new characters (or even old ones u didnt practice). i just wish there was a way to combine it i guess, like writing pinyin and choosing (like from the hand-writing) the characters.
as u can see i havent thought about it really before, and now i can see it's complicated. in my mind i was always using pinyin with the dictionary, but i can see NOW how it is different from just writing sentences. so never mind.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yuvalcho said:
1. cant wait for the new version (though i m a bit worried i m trailing behind with my old generation iPod)

How old? The 3rd-generation ones (32/64 GB models sold starting in September 2009) should be OK, as should the 4th-generation (only ones with a Retina display or camera), but models older than that won't work since Apple's new development tools for iOS 6 have dropped support for their ARMv6 processors - we can't fully support the upcoming new iPhone / mini iPad and those devices in the same app and obviously we have to opt for the newer ones.

yuvalcho said:
this almost what i wanted. i mean it helps in some of the situation, when i already made a flash card out of a pleco one, but if i made a flashcard out of a different dict, lets say CC, then i still have to make the whole procedure just to check out different definitions. i just wish there was a button to send me directly to the definition in the dict. i mean it's a bit annoying that i have to mark both characters in order to go the dict definition. maybe changing the default in the flashcards to mark all of the chars when i press them would help, but then again, it'll b troublesome for someone whom just wants to check out 1 of the characters, so i guess i need my "go to dictionary for this flashcard" direct button.

That's coming in the new version as well (already implemented on Android), with an optional button in flashcards to view the same word in a different dictionary once it's revealed with an option to instantly switch the card over to using that dictionary's definition. But in the meantime, if you set "Head tap action" in Settings / Dictionary / Entry Display to "Select word" that should get it to select the whole thing initially and save you one button tap at least.

yuvalcho said:
anyways...now that i think of it might be just incorrect to implement anyways. when u search for something in the dictionary u can just use pinyin, meaning english keyboard, and it finds it. now when i want to insert a flashcard with a sentence it means writing a lot of characters, but then PLECO doesnt autocomplete ot guess my words, even though they r simple ones, so i have to use the iPod pinyin keyboard, which i dont really like, i feel yours is better, and i wish i could use it in a way. let's face it using the writing 1 isnt easy for someone whom cant write all of these new characters (or even old ones u didnt practice). i just wish there was a way to combine it i guess, like writing pinyin and choosing (like from the hand-writing) the characters.

I get the idea; it's actually something we've been thinking about for a while - an IME for Chinese learners, basically - but it feels like it's something that anybody could come along and do, so it's tough to justify our doing it instead of something else that really needs to be implemented within our app.

yuvalcho

举人
thanks.
so...

How old? The 3rd-generation ones (32/64 GB models sold starting in September 2009) should be OK, as should the 4th-generation (only ones with a Retina display or camera), but models older than that won't work since Apple's new development tools for iOS 6 have dropped support for their ARMv6 processors - we can't fully support the upcoming new iPhone / mini iPad and those devices in the same app and obviously we have to opt for the newer ones.

unfortunately when i bought my iPod i thought it was 3rd generation, but no one told me that the 8GB one is actually 2nd generation, i actually have the feeling that it was a bit of a scam.
and i totally understand the support dropping. it's just gives me a headache what to buy...n iPhone (which i totally have negative feelings toward apple), some kind of android, but which 1? or just go again with n iPod and combine with the 50kuai phone i bought here (-:

That's coming in the new version as well (already implemented on Android), with an optional button in flashcards to view the same word in a different dictionary once it's revealed with an option to instantly switch the card over to using that dictionary's definition. But in the meantime, if you set "Head tap action" in Settings / Dictionary / Entry Display to "Select word" that should get it to select the whole thing initially and save you one button tap at least.

it definitely helps to solve the situation for now, but now it seems that as i said it makes awkward looking for 1 character.
i thought about a press+hold 1 character and it seems that it already has a function i didnt know that could lead me potentially to search the dictionary which is cool, but never the less doesnt give the cool options that pleco offers when selecting a character/word (depends on set up), like "copy", "look up", character info, etc...

edit:
-----
how about double click or tap or whatever it's called...?

I get the idea; it's actually something we've been thinking about for a while - an IME for Chinese learners, basically - but it feels like it's something that anybody could come along and do, so it's tough to justify our doing it instead of something else that really needs to be implemented within our app.

i agree. especially when it is possible with the iPod's keyboard. i just hoped i was missing some cool feature that is well hidden in the set up. i have too many keyboards and i just wished i'd b able to stay only on the english 1 (dont worry, i u can press hold rather than tap to switch 1 by 1)

thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yuvalcho said:
unfortunately when i bought my iPod i thought it was 3rd generation, but no one told me that the 8GB one is actually 2nd generation, i actually have the feeling that it was a bit of a scam.
and i totally understand the support dropping. it's just gives me a headache what to buy...n iPhone (which i totally have negative feelings toward apple), some kind of android, but which 1? or just go again with n iPod and combine with the 50kuai phone i bought here (-:

Wait for the forthcoming iPad mini - it'll be bigger than an iPod and smaller than an iPad and probably won't cost much more than an iPod does; if Apple doesn't match Google's $200 price they certainly won't go over $250.

yuvalcho said:
it definitely helps to solve the situation for now, but now it seems that as i said it makes awkward looking for 1 character.
i thought about a press+hold 1 character and it seems that it already has a function i didnt know that could lead me potentially to search the dictionary which is cool, but never the less doesnt give the cool options that pleco offers when selecting a character/word (depends on set up), like "copy", "look up", character info, etc...

No, that's the regular iOS text selection gesture - we're combining those two systems in the future, though.

yuvalcho

举人
Wait for the forthcoming iPad mini - it'll be bigger than an iPod and smaller than an iPad and probably won't cost much more than an iPod does; if Apple doesn't match Google's $200 price they certainly won't go over $250.

is it coming out today? cause my iPod just died. it's not responsive, doesnt turn on, just dead. not good.it's difficult to b here in china without it. you said google's 200$. what costs 200$ is it a smartphone, tablet?
about the bigger than iPod, i m not sure. the great thing about the iPod (smartphone) is that i can carry it in my pocket any time. i never leave without it. i cant c myself carrying iPad.
anyways that beside the topic, this is turning into a gadget thread. but then again, the only reason i m interested in this "gadget" is that living outside of ur country is problematic and u definitely need aids as such.

edit:
-----
btw, when i sync my iPod i know that Pleco is also being synced. is there a place on my computer where my settings, and more important, my flashcards database is kept?
if i buy n apple machine then i guess i only need to sync with my account, but if i get an android one, is there a way?

anyways thanks.
i'll stay and hope it'll fix itself after not working at all a day. (-:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yuvalcho said:
is it coming out today? cause my iPod just died. it's not responsive, doesnt turn on, just dead. not good.it's difficult to b here in china without it. you said google's 200$. what costs 200$ is it a smartphone, tablet?
about the bigger than iPod, i m not sure. the great thing about the iPod (smartphone) is that i can carry it in my pocket any time. i never leave without it. i cant c myself carrying iPad.
anyways that beside the topic, this is turning into a gadget thread. but then again, the only reason i m interested in this "gadget" is that living outside of ur country is problematic and u definitely need aids as such.

Google's Nexus 7 is a tablet. $200 is also what you'd pay for a Samsung Galaxy Player (sort of like an iPod Touch) or for a current iPod Touch. You could probably also get a low-end Android phone or a used iPhone 3GS for something in that range - advantage with the 3GS is that it has an autofocus camera and so can be used for OCR.

yuvalcho

举人
what would be the lowest end / cheapest device that i could get. (with touch screen)?
i m not really in this smartphones world. i have a 50kuai phone i bought.
i m thinking of maybe a friend could get one for cheap, but till then what would b the cheapest i could get to "keep me alive" till i get one? i dont really want to spend mny, when i know just in a few months there'll b a drop of prices cause of the new iPhone (i dont want to new new anyways).

i feel the pleco is like almost n extension of my brain here in china. i use it i dont know how many times a day...

Manou

秀才
yuvalcho said:
what would be the lowest end / cheapest device that i could get. (with touch screen)?
i m not really in this smartphones world. i have a 50kuai phone i bought.
i m thinking of maybe a friend could get one for cheap, but till then what would b the cheapest i could get to "keep me alive" till i get one? i dont really want to spend mny, when i know just in a few months there'll b a drop of prices cause of the new iPhone (i dont want to new new anyways).

i feel the pleco is like almost n extension of my brain here in china. i use it i dont know how many times a day...

A refurbished iPod touch would be a cheapish option. You can get them at the Apple online store with a one year warranty, ebay or your local traders would sell them cheaply too.

yuvalcho

举人
A refurbished iPod touch would be a cheapish option. You can get them at the Apple online store with a one year warranty, ebay or your local traders would sell them cheaply too.

i was thinking about that, only problem not sure i could find these stuff here in china...my place doesnt even have an official apple store...

radioman

状元
If you are nearby Dalian, let me know.

Otherwise, You might find some device on taobao.com, but make sure the seller is reputable.