Different Fonts

HedgePig

举人
Hope this is the right place to be posting a "wish" list. Actually just one item:

When using flashcards to test my knopwledge of Chinese characters, I'd love to be able to have Pleco to display the Chinese in a few different fonts (e.g. randomly switching from one to another every 8 or 10 questions) Before using Pleco, I used my own homebrew Excel based flashcard program and I found that being questioned with different fonts really did make a difference. I realised that often I was recognising a character or word by its general shape and I wouldn't recognise it nearly so easily in a different font.

Regards
HedgePig

P.S. I've been using Pleco heavily for about a month or so and I'm really, really impressed. It's a great program and beautifully thought out.

HedgePig

举人
Thanks for the information, scykei. I wonder if this also means one will be able to have a flashcard setting such that random fonts are chosen for display? (I hope so!)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HedgePig said:
Thanks for the information, scykei. I wonder if this also means one will be able to have a flashcard setting such that random fonts are chosen for display? (I hope so!)

Possibly, to be honest there hasn't been a lot of demand for that particular feature so far - how different would the fonts have to be for this to be helpful? Thanks to licenses we now have perfectly nice 黑体/楷体/宋体 options along with a 硬笔行书 that's a bit 简体字-oriented but covers common 繁体字 too - would those four vary enough or do you need the ability to install additional custom fonts for things like alternate calligraphy forms?