Disappearing flashcards and more mysterious elements

hlinc1837

Hello,
I use an HP iPAQ (200 series) with Pleco on it. It worked fine for about a year and then flashcard sets started to disappear or be reduced. Then sometimes the screen itself would go half-blank (but only within Pleco, not on other apps). For instance, if I tried to draw in the character, no suggestions would show up. Then I'd power down, put it away for a week, charge it up, and suddenly it works again. It has run this cycle haphazardly for about 9 months now. Any thoughts?

Also, the stylus is super-jumpy sometimes, but at other time very steady. Is this a sign that I need a new stylus, or is this too a pleco issue?

Thanks
H

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
hlinc1837 said:
I use an HP iPAQ (200 series) with Pleco on it. It worked fine for about a year and then flashcard sets started to disappear or be reduced. Then sometimes the screen itself would go half-blank (but only within Pleco, not on other apps). For instance, if I tried to draw in the character, no suggestions would show up. Then I'd power down, put it away for a week, charge it up, and suddenly it works again. It has run this cycle haphazardly for about 9 months now. Any thoughts?

It could be that the flash memory is starting to deteriorate (since this is a 7 year old device and flash memory chips are generally only good for 10,000 or so write cycles) - that's frequently an explanation for disappearing files, and would potentially even explain the handwriting recognizer not pulling up suggestions. Have you noticed weird behavior in any other third-party apps? (or are you running any that aren't built into the iPAQ?) It's hard to attribute this to a Pleco-specific issue since it was working correctly for so long, though I suppose there could be an obscure bug in the SQLite database engine somewhere that takes a while to manifest itself...

hlinc1837 said:
Also, the stylus is super-jumpy sometimes, but at other time very steady. Is this a sign that I need a new stylus, or is this too a pleco issue?

That might be a sign of hardware deterioration as well, though I haven't heard of it affecting HPs - it was / is a big issue with old Palms, I'd venture to guess that a large percentage of the Palms still in use are on their second (or even third) screen digitizer. Again, have you noticed this in any other apps?

hlinc1837

Mike,
Thanks for the replies. I actually have no downloaded apps except for Pleco! I got the iPAQ just to have a translator. I'll spend some time on the built-in app's and let you know in a few days what their condition is.
H