Distinguishing between pronunciations

Azimuth

秀才
Couldn't find an answer to this on search, so perhaps someone can help:

Suppose I look up a character with more than one pronunciation. Is there a way to look up words and phrases containing that character pronounced that way? I seem only to be able to look up all instances of words with that character, and the different pronunciations are all mixed in with one another.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Azimuth said:
Couldn't find an answer to this on search, so perhaps someone can help:

Suppose I look up a character with more than one pronunciation. Is there a way to look up words and phrases containing that character pronounced that way? I seem only to be able to look up all instances of words with that character, and the different pronunciations are all mixed in with one another.

Not at the moment - not actually something we've had a lot of requests for. We already have code to search for matches on both (we use it when importing flashcard lists, among other things), it's just a question of how we'd attach a user interface to this - it'd be tough to do with the existing input field (I suppose a special character like % might work, but how would people find out about it?) so it suggests some sort of "advanced search" screen, but that's a pretty major new feature.

Azimuth

秀才
Ok. I was trying to use it as a way of working out why some characters are pronounced one way in some situations, and another way in others, but perhaps a dictionary isn't the best place to do this.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Azimuth said:
Ok. I was trying to use it as a way of working out why some characters are pronounced one way in some situations, and another way in others, but perhaps a dictionary isn't the best place to do this.

Well we do have the necessary data, so it's not a terrible idea - somebody's got to do it :)