Duplicate card - delete option

DrStamen

秀才
Hi - just after some clarity on the "delete" option in the dialogue box that pops up when you try adding a duplicate.

Does selecting "delete" erase the card AND then re-add it (i.e. with new dictionary entry if different to its predecessor and clear score stats), or does it simply delete the old card without adding a replacement?

It seems to be the latter, and I was wondering if this is also the case if "delete" is set as the default action for dealing with duplicates (as I would much rather have the default as "delete-then-readd," mainly due to my methodology for using pleco flashcards).

Apologies for long-winded explanation*
Cheers,

*My aim is to have an easy way to reset the stats of flashcards that turn out to be duplicates, particularly the "date created," so that they will be bumped into my "recently added" flashcard profile, even if they were actually first added years ago (as I have obviously forgotten them in the interim if I have been trying to add them again).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
DrStamen said:
Hi - just after some clarity on the "delete" option in the dialogue box that pops up when you try adding a duplicate.

Does selecting "delete" erase the card AND then re-add it (i.e. with new dictionary entry if different to its predecessor and clear score stats), or does it simply delete the old card without adding a replacement?

It seems to be the latter, and I was wondering if this is also the case if "delete" is set as the default action for dealing with duplicates (as I would much rather have the default as "delete-then-readd," mainly due to my methodology for using pleco flashcards).

It deletes the card without replacing it - the thinking is that you can then tap on the button a second time if you want to replace it. We actually do it that way because of the option to make deleting the default behavior - with that, the idea is that you'd tap on the button (helpfully showing a [+] to indicate the flashcard already exists) to delete a card that you no longer wanted, or as a sort of an "undo" if you tend to accidentally tap on it at a lot.

DrStamen said:
*My aim is to have an easy way to reset the stats of flashcards that turn out to be duplicates, particularly the "date created," so that they will be bumped into my "recently added" flashcard profile, even if they were actually first added years ago (as I have obviously forgotten them in the interim if I have been trying to add them again).

Does that profile work using a Card Filter? If so, use "modified" instead of "created" - that will pick up changes to the card's categories or text too, which should cover your situation pretty well. I suppose we could look at adding an option to "bump" cards that are added when they already exist, flagging the new addition in some way so that your flashcard profile would pick it up, but I think I'd rather do that more explicitly by adding another duplicate command that does a "force add to pool" or somesuch.