eBook/pdf reader catch - like Colordict

Supaiku

举人
Colordict has two ways of being opened in ebook readers: one is go to the app, and the other is an in app popup.

I don't know if this is done mostly be the ebook reader, or by colordict, but is pleco compatile with something like this?
If I want a feature like this, should I ask here, or the ebook reader developer?

The best ebook readers I've found for my purposes is Moon+ Reader (Cool Reader and fbReader are up there but both have unforgivable bugs or feature flaws - Moon reader has the easiest selection system and convenient TTS).
ezPDF (and Repligo and Beamreader) would be great to have the feature in as well.

Again - is this something that is done pleco side? or reader-side? or through cooperation?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Supaiku said:
I don't know if this is done mostly be the ebook reader, or by colordict, but is pleco compatile with something like this?
If I want a feature like this, should I ask here, or the ebook reader developer?

Does the eBook reader have a specific option / specifically listed support for ColorDict? If not, they may support some sort of standard Intent that we can support too, but we'd need to know the name of the Intent in order to do that. Which reader specifically are you using with ColorDict?

Supaiku said:
The best ebook readers I've found for my purposes is Moon+ Reader (Cool Reader and fbReader are up there but both have unforgivable bugs or feature flaws - Moon reader has the easiest selection system and convenient TTS).

EPUB support is on our to-do list, and high-quality offline Chinese TTS has already been licensed and is just waiting on a few bits of interface code, so with any luck within a few months you won't even need a separate reader app :) What are the major problems / flaws in those other apps? We're trying to make sure that we do this well.

Supaiku said:
ezPDF (and Repligo and Beamreader) would be great to have the feature in as well.

PDF support is trickier because you really can't get text out of those without OCR.

Supaiku

举人
Sorry for the tardy reply!
Some PDFs have text embedded - the program can reflow text. I'm pretty sure it's not image only (I can understand that image text in pdfs wouldn't be so easy - that's one thing I use pleco for though - screenshot - open in ORC :) not really slipstreamed but...

20120505212516.jpg
20120505212316.jpg

Code:
(No definition cuz I just updated to a new ROM and haven't got colordict's dictionary files installed yet, but you get the idea. The book readers either have the same in app thing OR they take what you had selected and open the app straight away - removing the need to tap "copy", the status bar, and the pleco icon.)
ezPDF (above) is probably my PDF reader of choice, and it has a colordict search which shows up at the bottom of the app. Unfortunately right now their Chinese text selection annoyingly select the whole line by default...
Moon+ Reader has the best TTS and least buggy selection method, so I use it for ebooks.

BUT! If Pleco supported TTS, it's not tough to convert these ebooks to txt - the only problem then is finding where I was... If it supported epub and bookmarks or reading memory there'd be no need for an ebook reader!
The best feature in the world would be to be able to lookup words via the pop-up bubble and just pause TTS, not have to restart it. oooo... :mrgreen:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Supaiku said:
Some PDFs have text embedded - the program can reflow text. I'm pretty sure it's not image only (I can understand that image text in pdfs wouldn't be so easy - that's one thing I use pleco for though - screenshot - open in ORC not really slipstreamed but...

Definitely not easy, though we might be able to license a PDF library that can handle it.

Supaiku said:
BUT! If Pleco supported TTS, it's not tough to convert these ebooks to txt - the only problem then is finding where I was... If it supported epub and bookmarks or reading memory there'd be no need for an ebook reader!
The best feature in the world would be to be able to lookup words via the pop-up bubble and just pause TTS, not have to restart it. oooo...

We actually do support bookmarks and remembering your last place - is that not working reliably for you? We've had a few bug reports regarding that function but we're having trouble triangulating them so any data on that would be most welcome.

I think we'll let you restart TTS at more-or-less any arbitrary point you want to - not really a good reason to limit it to the starts of sentences or paragraphs.

Supaiku

举人
I'll test out the bookmark functionality. I love that I keep finding new functions that already exist :oops:
:mrgreen: