English-English audio prononciations

neobarney

Hello,

Being a big fan of pleco for several years and English not beeing my native language, I recently started to use pleco for English.
What I did is :
- download a free English-English dictionary, such as Wiktionary
- create a custom English-Chinese dictionary in pleco
- upload the entries

That is so far working pretty good (would even be better if I could find a free English-French/French-English dictionary but couldnt find it so far).

However there one major lacking feature, which I love in pleco : the unique audio records of words.

Therefore I'm wondering if it would be difficult for you guys to provide such an add-on in the future?
I would be really great and super useful for all the non-English native speakers like me!!!!!!
Also if it was too complicated due to copyright issues, it would already be great to have a text-to-speech function!!

Many thanks!!!

Mickael

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
neobarney said:
Therefore I'm wondering if it would be difficult for you guys to provide such an add-on in the future?
I would be really great and super useful for all the non-English native speakers like me!!!!!!
Also if it was too complicated due to copyright issues, it would already be great to have a text-to-speech function!!

We've had a few requests for that... main challenge would be finding an open-source database of word pronunciations that we could use, since I don't think that sales would be sufficient to justify recording our own.

Or we could try to do this with a TTS system - we actually just recently licensed one on iOS, but it's only for Chinese and for technical reasons it's impossible for us to use the English one from that same company. There are a few open-source ones floating around but none of them have particularly nice output quality.