Examples of Grand Ricci

zsfzzo

秀才
I wish Pleco could add the rich examples of Le Grand Dictionnaire Ricci de la langue chinoise.

We would learn more by reading the translations of a word in its colourful contexts.

Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Which examples are these? There aren't any in the data files or in the print version that I'm aware of - see for example these sample pages from the print one.

zsfzzo

秀才
"No examples" in the description of Grand Ricci got me mixed up with another dictionary.

I'm truly sorry for wasting your time.

The dictionary I mistook Ricci for is Dictionnaire Chinois-Français du Chinois Parlé (法汉口语词典)
Paris: Éditions You-Feng. It has a huge corpus of frequent oral Chinese with very natural translations, and helped me a lot in my translation class.

Here is part of the entry "让" :

redir
(perhaps you should open the picture by yourself)

I would like to know if you take an interest in licensing this.

Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Heh, never heard of that one - looks like one of the two reviews of it on Amazon.fr specifically requests a Pleco edition of it to go along with Grand Ricci :) Anyway we'll see about getting a copy here to evaluate, thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not at the moment, no - it's been a few years since we went out actively seeking new dictionary licenses, mostly because we're in the middle of a big data format transition for 4.0 and don't want to have to convert a dictionary to our old format to hit a license deadline but then turn right around and have to convert it again to the new one. (we have launched a few new dictionaries that have more-or-less landed in our laps - or that were relatively easy to convert, which this wouldn't be - but we haven't done a lot of new ones)