"Existing" Flash card question.

stisev

进士
Sorry to clutter up with the forum with dumb questions, but this one is baffling me.

Let's say I have two categories..

Chinese 1 and Chinese 2

I add a vocab word to Chinese 1... let's say "kuai4" then a year later, i'm taking Chinese 2 and I come across the same word "kuai4" and try to add it to *CHINESE 2*. Does Pleco say "duplicate flashcard exists?" even though I'm trying to add it to (by changing the default categories) Chinese 2.

I guess what I'm asking is.. what does Pleco consider 'duplicate'? Duplicate in the same category or just overall?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Duplicates in 2.0 are determined systemwide, not just in a particular category. However, if flashcard duplicate handling is set to "Keep Cats" (in the Flashcards panel of Preferences), as it is by default, if the system does find a duplicate it'll still add that existing card to the new category. So you get the same basic behavior as in 1.0, only with the card's score info (and any changes you make to its text etc) shared between all of the categories rather than tracked separately in each one as it was in 1.0.