Experimental Palm Beta 3 Crashing/Audio Fix

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Is now available here:

(link removed, fix now incorporated into Beta 3a - see the announcement for a download link for that)

This applies the same audio fix from the Pocket PC version along with fixing another one that was specific to Palm, along with fixing one or two other database bugs, correcting (at last!) the application creator code, changing the type code for SQL databases to reduce the possibility of conflicts with those, and updating all of the preferences IDs again to prevent any previous preferences from causing conflicts. So hopefully this should be as smooth as Beta 2 at least.

ipsi

状元
And.... CRASH! Hmm... That probably wasn't supposed to happen. I'll have a poke around, delete some more files, and see if it works any better...

EDIT: Yeah, after a quick check, I don't see any prefs for PD except PLDE ones, which are 1.3, correct? I hope I can leave those alone... I deleted the files in internal memory which had creator code PLEN, and it still crashes. Not sure what's up here. Best I can tell you is that it was a fatal exception for now.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are you using the Beta 3 data files (and only those?) Double-check your memory card / internal memory to make sure there aren't any other PLEN's lying around. This is very odd, though, really seems to work fine on everything we've tested even with 1.0 (and other stuff) installed. Could you remind me exactly what third-party software you're using again?

ipsi

状元
I'll have a look. I think I'm using the Beta 3 stuff. That'd be damn annoying if that was the root cause of my problem...

Anyway, 3rd Party Software: PD1.3 (obviously), ChatterEmail, CJKOS, are the only ones that are running all the time. Oh, and Reset Doctor, as of just now.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Tried those same 3rd-party apps and no luck; also did another 680 check and didn't see any problems on that either. Have you tried deleting/reinstalling the handwriting recognizer data files yet? There shouldn't have been any difference in how those were handled between Beta 2 and Beta 3 (nothing we did, anyway), but running through my mental list of possible startup culprits I realized that's one thing I haven't asked about yet.

ipsi

状元
It could be a dodgy SD Card... I'm having issues copying the files over. Trying again with a different card... Maybe that'll help some.

Alexis

状元
Tried the all the new files (including the updated palm one), but still crashes at startup on my Tungsten T3.

I used to have beta 2 installed, which started up fine. I wiped my palm (hard reset, cleared memory card) and installed the beta 3 files.

When I removed the fonts, it did let me know that fonts were missing instead of crashing. But when I put the fonts back in, it did the same "Fatal Exception".

ipsi

状元
Nope. Still crashed. All the files are from the B3 folder. I don't have the audio on the card, but it shouldn't matter... I'm honestly not sure what to try here... On the other hand, it does look like I have a dodgy SD Card, which is quite annoying as it's the larger one...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
How much free internal memory do you guys have? The new flashcard schema does use up a bit more space than the old one so there's a slight chance that might have something to do with this...

Alexis: this is very interesting since it actually eliminates most of the possible crashing sources - that message only comes up after all of the databases have been loaded, and the new flashcard / user ones (if any) created. Have you tried deleting / reinstalling the handwriting recognizer files? Do you see any of the main dictionary interface show up or flicker before the system crashes? What about if you get rid of the handwriting files together, does the software start up then?

ipsi

状元
I'll add that I get the user dictionaries and the flashcard files before it crashes. I don't see the main interface flicker at all. I have 20MB+ of internal memory, so I should be fine there. I haven't tried the HWR files, but I suppose I might as well at some point. Once I'm done reformatting my SD Card.

ipsi

状元
Hmmm... my SD Card is just not working. Probably best to put it away for now...

And nope, the HWR stuff just won't work. It still crashes PD2B3, but works with 1.3. I'm so confused....

Any ideas Mike? Much as I'd love to use B3, it's not happening. Anything else I can do to try and narrow it down?

ipsi

状元
I deleted the font files, but I didn't get a message about them being missing on my 680. I assume it is looking in the right place? You didn't somehow change it away from /PALM/Launcher? Anyway, I'm going back to B2 for now, until you've got a slightly better idea of what I might have to do to troubleshoot this.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The directory is still /Palm/Launcher - if the message isn't coming up then it sounds like the problem must be in a different place on your system than on Alexis'. Could still be something with the SD card, actually, though it's odd that that wouldn't affect 1.0.3 too... how large are the flashcards / user DB files in memory? Does it seem to crash almost instantly on startup or does it spend a few seconds loading first?

Anyway, sounds like you might want to go back to B2 for now though I'm disappointed we couldn't resolve this - could you possibly save a copy of your Palm Desktop backup folder before you delete all of the B3 stuff? That might prove useful for diagnosing this later on.

ipsi

状元
The User Dict and FC files are the same size with both B2 and B3. So I don't think it's that. I'll wait for B4, as it stands. Maybe you'll fix the bug without realising it. I'm a tad disappointed too, but not everything's easy. It'd probably help if I could get more detailed crash information...

Also, if you need my backup stuff I'll just reinstall B3, run it and Synch. I don't think I actually synched while I was doing this - takes too long...

SUCCESS!

:D :D :D The subject line says it all: the beta3 (a.x) has now solved the audio problem on my TX! I just copied the new PlecoEngine over to the TX memory and it worked on the first run without any resets. Phew. Now I am glad. :mrgreen:

beirne

进士
Works great!

I just installed Beta 3 (a.x) and it works great. My main problem was the audio and now I can hear it. Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Great! Glad to hear it's working correctly for people who can get it to start up at least; now if we can just address ipsi et al's crashing issue we'll be all set.

FUmminger

秀才
Where can I download all of the files needed to test Beta 3 with the experimental fix? The main Beta 3 download had many of the Palm files removed from it after the crashing problems were initially discovered, and the experimental fix download only has Pleco Engine.prc in it. I'm still missing at least the Beta 3 HWR files. I tried using the Beta 2 HWR files and crashed, tried them after changing the creator code and crashed. I'm not sure if my problem is a real bug or just due to using the wrong HWR files.

Sincerely,
Frederick

ipsi

状元
Might have to wait for Beta 4 and see if that helps for people like me :(. It's either that, or adding in a large number of 'cout << "Stage 47: Complete!" << endl;' statements to put some debugging info onto the SD Card (Well, it probably won't be cout, but you get the idea).

Alexis

状元
Hi Mike,

I had a chance to narrow it down a bit more. It is the "radicals.pdb" file that is causing my crash. Once I remove that file, then pleco is able to start up fine. Both audio and handwriting recognition work fine :)

- Alexis