ext. b characters copy as question marks (��)?

I was trying to copy some ext. b characters out of Pleco, but I was only getting �� instead of the actual characters.

Is it something wrong with my set-up or is this intended behavior?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not the intended behavior, but also not clear if it's on our end or Android's - if you paste them back into Pleco do they come through correctly? Can you see ext-B characters correctly elsewhere on your device?

Not the intended behavior, but also not clear if it's on our end or Android's - if you paste them back into Pleco do they come through correctly? Can you see ext-B characters correctly elsewhere on your device?

Maybe it's something to do with Archon then? I'm running it on my computer, shouldn't have any cjk ext. issues. Even copy & paste in Pleco returns: ��.

Shun

状元
Hi ACardiganAndAFrown,

perhaps you can write out the characters in Chinese here? Then I could check the behavior on my secondary phone running Android 8, to see if it's Archon's or Android's fault.

Shun

状元
Thanks, I used the Unicode Hex Input on a Mac and copied the text file to Pleco iOS and Pleco Android, which unfortunately didn't show me the characters I was looking for, one empty one and another random one.

I downloaded a Unicode input app on Android, and the fact that it used the clipboard as a means of getting special Unicode characters into other apps indicates to me that Android's clipboard should work fine for any special Unicode character. If you had the characters inside Pleco and they were garbled after copying, this suggests to me that ARChon's Copy-and-Paste integration, if it exists, somehow corrupts the clipboard for special characters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wan