extra dictionnaries for other language

Pampuk

秀才
Bonjour,

While you're working on adding dictionnares to the next edition, I'll be very nice if you can propose, as a option, to buy additional dictionnary.

For me, I mean Chinese/french and French/Chinese, but I think german, italian of spanish people will be very happy too.

Everytime I show my palm/pleco to chinese student in Paris, they want to buy one as the tool is a lot better as electronic dictionnary found in China... but they need French, not English.

If you can find a chinese/french dictionnary to include, I'll be very happy to help you convert it to pleco format... and to buy it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This is something we'd definitely like to do, but unfortunately we haven't been able to find a French/Chinese or Chinese/French dictionary to license yet (and same goes for German/Spanish/Italian/etc). Oxford has one, but for various reasons we don't think we'll be able to get a license for it, and most of the others appear to have been published too long ago to be available in electronic format. Though I'm open to suggestions if you know of any good, recently-published dictionaries we might be able to license.

Actually though it might be rather difficult to license a French<>Chinese dictionary even if we did find one, since a publisher's going to have a hard time believing we could market/support it effectively - no one here even speaks French, and that makes it almost impossible for us to work with French-speaking customers who don't also speak English. A French-to-Chinese dictionary isn't going to be all that useful without a French manual and a French-localized interface.

But there's certainly hope for the future; we could for example end up partnering with a French distribution company or a French PDA software publisher. I'm not sure if we're quite ready for that yet, but 6 or 12 months down the line we definitely might be.

Pampuk

秀才
O makase kudasai...

if your only problem is localisation and french manual, I can handle it.

Localization will be free of charge, manual, we'll have to discuss about it !

Concerning customer support, I can handle it too, you only have to redirect them to me... If there is a lot of them, we try to find a solution.

If you like to talk some more about it, please feel free to contact me (oya1@hotmail.com).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well there's still licensing to deal with, but I'll keep you in mind if we do manage to make some progress on this. Thanks!