Feature Request: add card copy function to word menu

mdeisher

I've been using PlecoDict since early this century. Thanks for a great product!!!

After studying Chinese myself I have a 6 year old in Chinese immersion school. I've been creating a flashcard deck (i.e., "category") each week for the parents who use PlecoDict.

An issue I've run into is that the weekly word lists sometimes overlap. When I attempt to add a card to a category that has already been added to a previous category, the option to "Add to Flashcards" is missing from the menu. So I have to manually search through all the previously created categories to find that card that had already been entered. Then I can choose "Copy to Category" to enter the card into the new category. It is very tedious because there are a LOT of previous word lists.

I can think of several ways to solve this and, as far as I can tell, they all require a new feature be added to PlecoDict:
1. As the subject line says, you could just add a "Add to Flashcard Category" option to the main word menu (the one where "Add to Flashcards" shows up.
2. Alternatively, a search function over all flashcard categories would make it easy to find where the duplicate card was entered previously.
3. Finally, support for more than one flashcard database could be added. Then we would not have to abuse the "category" feature for this purpose.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

--Mike

Shun

状元
Hi Mike,

if you use the "+" button to add a card to an additional category, it should always be added to that category in addition to the previous ones. If you hold the "+" button, you can change the category it will add the new cards to. Settings / Flashcards / Change on tap-hold and Multi-level cat prompt need to be enabled for that, and Settings / Flashcards / Duplicate (non cat) needs to be set to Add + update or Add to category.

Cheers, Shun

mdeisher

Hi Mike,

if you use the "+" button to add a card to an additional category, it should always be added to that category in addition to the previous ones. If you hold the "+" button, you can change the category it will add the new cards to. Settings / Flashcards / Change on tap-hold and Multi-level cat prompt need to be enabled for that, and Settings / Flashcards / Duplicate (non cat) needs to be set to Add + update or Add to category.

Cheers, Shun

Thanks, I didn't know that. But it does not really address my problem. My problem is not that I can't add the same card to two categories at once. My problem is that it is hard to add the card to the second category long after it was added to the first category. At that point it a manual search is required to find which category it was added to the first time.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This actually works for existing cards too; long press the + button and choose a new category and the existing card will be added to that new category.