feature request: audio with transcript

psucom

举人
It would be nice to have a feature to listen to Chinese audio, possibly audio+video, such as news reports, xiangsheng, audio books, and the like that is also coupled with a transcript of the audio. This would allow the listener to improve one's Chinese listening skills while allowing the written content to be efficiently digested since the correct intonation could be listened to and the more difficult phrases could absorbed at one's own pace. This would is particularly effective when packaged with Pleco's already built-in popup dictionary. As an example, Chinese news broadcasts at times can be difficult to follow, but with a transcript in hand and a quick-draw dictionary at one's disposal, the user can quickly become familiar with the unique but common phases used in broadcasts while also becoming familiar with current events. As another example, for me it is much more efficient listening to a book than reading it, because the audio forces me to keep moving along. And this is even more the case when attempting to read Chinese novels. Having the audio gives the listener exposure to accurate and fluent spoken Chinese, efficiency by being able to hear the intonation of the words (being able to hear the words parsed into n-character phrases), and efficiency by swiftly moving along through the book without being caught up on trivialities. Altogether, audio + text yields a potentially more entertaining and efficient learning experience.

This feature request requires both new content and new functionality, but also naturally takes advantage some of the advanced features of Pleco.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This is actually very similar to a feature we've already had several requests for, displaying the lyrics for files in your iPhone's music library in our document reader while playing back the audio in them - there'd be no synchronization between the audio and the text (no cursor to tell you where you were), but it would be compatible with a lot of content that's already available.

Taking this one step farther and having audio files that were synced with transcripts (so you could jump in and start playback anywhere) would be a logical next step after that, but it's much trickier since there doesn't seem to be a standard format for those types of files - maybe something from the karaoke industry :)

psucom

举人
Yes, I forgot how conveniently the iPod player is conveniently integrated in this device allowing one to play audio in the background while using other applications all the while having convenient functionality to pause the audio from with the other apps. I suppose the challenge is up to me now to find good audio content that also has a written version. The usual candidates are songs, xiangsheng, and possibly some audiobooks and newscasts. This simple discovery makes writing this post more entertaining as I now know I can simultaneously play songs from my playlist.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
FWIW, a totally undocumented Pleco feature is that you can tap on MP3 files in the document reader file browser to play them - no controls other than tapping on the file again to stop playback, but it's there in a pinch anyway.

psucom

举人
The iPod controls evidently aren't as useful as I originally though as it is easy to pause the track from within Pleco but not possible to start it up again from within Pleco.

The Pleco provided mp3 player is nice in that pausing and playing can be performed by going back one screen in the document reader, but it would even more convenient if the pause/play control could be added as a control menu item on the same page as the document reader. Any chance of this? Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
psucom said:
The Pleco provided mp3 player is nice in that pausing and playing can be performed by going back one screen in the document reader, but it would even more convenient if the pause/play control could be added as a control menu item on the same page as the document reader. Any chance of this? Thanks.

Oh certainly, the MP3 support we have now is something we did in about 10 minutes of programming for the sake of people downloading lesson files in Pleco's web browser and needing to be reminded of the audio in them - at whatever point we finally get around to adding that lyrics feature I mentioned earlier that would definitely have to come with MP3 playback controls.