Feature request (various things)

Peter

榜眼
Random idea:

Add a page in the dictionary entry screen that renders the headword using different fonts (ideally all of the installed fonts).

The intended for the purpose of exploring / comparing different character forms. While I find the stroke order diagram to be very useful in this regard, it only gives one interpretation.

Not sure how feasible "all fonts" part is concerning memory and cpu, so if not all fonts, then maybe a broad variety.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We already do this on iOS, and might do it on Android as well once we start selling paid font add-ons (as we also already do on iOS) - not enough Android users have multiple Chinese fonts installed on their system to make this useful in the meantime.

Peter

榜眼
Another:

Some headwords have multiple pronunciations and these appear separately in the search list. A feature to hide or colorise (say the foreground/background) results might be useful. I currently have a personal dictionary with reminder notes that I set as my #1 dictionary, in order to display "ignore this; in daily life nobody says it like this."

And while at it: Male mandarin audio for 屁股 lacks the g initial. Female audio is good.

Peter

榜眼
when limiting the search to 'all cantonese dicts,' pleco still returns results for user dictionaries that dont have canto readings.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Peter - re your first comment (sorry I missed that), maybe just a way to "bury" some entries?

With the second comment, I vaguely remember this being something intentional / logical but will double check.

- what about saving spoken text in mp3... perhaps licence problems, I suppose, but with some limitations on time or quality...
- I'm using nexus 5x, so no problems for chromecast, but other customers can be interested...
- frequently I use http://www.purpleculture.net/chinese-pinyin-converter/ for adding pinyin to characters, to have this feature in pleco for me can be useful...

bye and thank you

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sadly not possible, it's a licensing issue with our paid TTS and as far as I know it's not something Google's free TTS currently allows for.

Peter

榜眼
Search engine suggestion: If the search engine finds no complete match for a sequence of characters, automatically search again with the "#" prefix and append results at the bottom. I find myself doing this a lot.

Miguel

状元
- frequently I use http://www.purpleculture.net/chinese-pinyin-converter/ for adding pinyin to characters, to have this feature in pleco for me can be useful...
Hi Mike, still working on the hanzi to pinyin converter?

Search engine suggestion: If the search engine finds no complete match for a sequence of characters, automatically search again with the "#" prefix and append results at the bottom. I find myself doing this a lot.
Good idea Peter, the same here

marcelbdt

秀才
Suggestion: make it possible to override the setting of the order of the dictionaries in the form of a document setting.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Miguel - still considering it, probably not for the next major update since we already have a zillion other things coming; TBH if we did do it we'd probably do it on iOS first since Apple has a built-in Chinese text segmenter and Google doesn't.

@marcelbdt - Already on our to-do list, actually - obvious one in cases like Classical texts.

Miguel

状元
@Miguel - still considering it, probably not for the next major update since we already have a zillion other things coming; TBH if we did do it we'd probably do it on iOS first since Apple has a built-in Chinese text segmenter and Google doesn't.
:D I'm sure the other zillion things will be cool as well

Daniel C

秀才
Feature request: Would it be possible to have a widget in the iOS 10 lock screen with a mini dictionary lookup? About 50% of my phone usage is for looking up words on Pleco and having a widget there would save so much time.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We're investigating that possibility but to be honest the UI in widgets is severely limited and we're not sure if we could put together a good Chinese input method within those constraints.

DonCachopo

举人
I have bought the extended audio addon. I think it would be great if, in the dictionary and cards we could know (through an icon) which entries have a recording associated.
Thanks

Shun

状元
Sometimes, being able to change the test type during a session would come in handy. (for example, for switching between Fill-in-the-blanks and Self-graded with pen and paper) Are there plans for such a capability in Pleco 4.0? Thanks.

Last edited: