Feature request (various things)

DonCachopo

举人
Hi. I´ve a feature request
When testing flashcards. Would it be possible to have a filter for only cards with a recorded (no TTS) audio?
TY

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Possibly, but to be honest I'd be reluctant to add that feature because in 4.0 we're trying to validate all cards before the start of a test (to avoid the annoying phenomenon of skipping cards / having the number of cards due drop during the test) and checking every card against the audio recordings database would slow that down considerably. (it's already taken far more effort than I'd like to get that working for dictionary links + remaps) But post-4.0 if there's demand for this we could consider adding it, no reason to think it'd be impossible design-wise if we were willing to put in the effort to make it fast enough.

lilly54

Maybe a feature to the pleco reader that would allow the text from txt files to be shown vertically? It would be really helpful to get used to reading vertically. (i.e. books from Taiwan)

Nemeo

Hi,

Example phrases and compound words are legion in the dictionaries of Pleco. It would be awesome if they could be used for memory & discovery! If you have 红, 色 in your flashcards, it would suggest you 红色, and phrases already in the dictionaries that contains only the words/chars already in your flashcards.

The idea is double:
- A discovery panel, showing words & phrases that contains characters already in flashcards (full match or partial match, with for ex. 1 or 2 unknown chars). It could help a lot to discover new expressions with known words/chars. And to add compound words and phrases in flashcards!
- A memory test panel, showing the same words & phrases in flashcard-test mode.

I hope I wrote my idea clearly. At least, it is clear in my head ! ;-)

Keep up the good work, and thanks for Pleco. The app is neat, and the incredible amount of configuration is incredible. :)

Benoit

Dodoxo

举人
I think it would be extremely useful to set an option to study new cards last, after reviewing the old cards.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Nemeo - we've had a few people write about something along these lines, actually. The main problem I think would be ensuring that we pick useful words - our frequency lists are OK but not perfect and I fear we'd miss a lot of good words or suggest a lot of less-good ones; we'd need some sort of a well-vetted collection of useful words/phrases (probably going beyond the mere 5000 in the HSK e.g.) to draw from.

@Dodoxo - this is extremely well supported in 4.0 :)

rizen suha

状元
more options in favorites bar.
(not sure if everybody knows its existence... in settings enable right swipe)
when in the reader there are so many things i would like to do outside of the reader, with a particular character/word/phraselet. fx see the component make-up of a character.
currently going out of and coming back into the reader takes approx between 7 and 11 "clicks". which pretty much rules out any frequent usage. the favorites bar is ideal for allowing direct access, actually as it is (and is i just discovered) i have a "coming back" option in the favorites bar; to go immediately to the last open doc in the reader from anywhere, bringing the total number of clicks down to btw 4 and 8. if the favorites bar could incorporate a wider range of "going out" options, click/swiping could be 4, always.

rizen suha

状元
3d touch.
this is largely unused in pleco, although, smartly enough, you designers have already contemplated that it be user configurable.
along the lines of my previous post, i would love to see a (much) wider range of options/funcionality/shortcuts made available.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Navigation overhaul remains a hazy thing on my to-do list at the moment - I'm hoping Apple gives us some new paradigms on this as part of this summer's rumored iOS/macOS convergence, but I'd guess at this point it'll wait for a later 4.x release since we'd rather not hold up 4.0 for it.

max__

Hi!
I would like to request the feature to be able to make the line thickness of handwriting input thinner than the current thinnest level "very thin", especially when using the flashcard module.
Further more, when using the apple pencil on my ipad pro I would like to be able to disable any input other than that from the pencil.

Thank you for your hard work!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thinner line should be doable, non-Pencil input I'd have to investigate more - I know they have palm rejection support, but I'm not sure how reliably we can detect that you're currently 'using' the pencil and I'm wary of a situation where you draw on the screen and nothing happens because your pencil is still registering as 'in use' despite being in a drawer somewhere.

pdwalker

状元
I'm wary of a situation where you draw on the screen and nothing happens because your pencil is still registering as 'in use' despite being in a drawer somewhere.

I don't have an ipad pro (yet), but from what I've tested, the pencil has to be pretty close to register on the screen.

Toom

秀才
In test showing the definition, the head word is filtered in text but it's still possible to play the audio for example sentences and hear the head word. It would be nice to be able to forbid to play example sentences or just not hearing the sentence without the head word.

max__

Thinner line should be doable, non-Pencil input I'd have to investigate more - I know they have palm rejection support, but I'm not sure how reliably we can detect that you're currently 'using' the pencil and I'm wary of a situation where you draw on the screen and nothing happens because your pencil is still registering as 'in use' despite being in a drawer somewhere.

Thanks for your reply mike!

I would really like to see a thinner line with handwriting since I feel that in order to write characters properly with the apple pencil in Pleco I have to write them bigger than I would like.

Any chance of getting MC pronunciations up top with PY/ZY/JP readings together? I know that there might only be data from SCM atm but that might be a good start at least.