Feature Suggestions

radioman

状元
I hear you about the lawyers. I see though they are licensing and have an SDK, etc. Just thought I would bring up the idea to stimulate ideas.

sych

榜眼
ipsi said:
Interesting. That's very nifty indeed, but given that it lists "Patented" as a feature (how is that a feature?), I'd agree with Mike on the army of lawyers. They probably have more lawyers protecting it than Pleco has employees.

It's a "feature" if your product is your company, and your market is venture capitalists :)

sych

榜眼
I guess this is technically a feature request, but it's something I think ought to make it into 2.0...

If the flashcards (and other databases) on Palm are going to be written to Hidden Internal memory by default, I really think they should be backed up automatically to PDB files so that they are backed up on the PC when doing a Hotsync. Perhaps at the end of each flashcard session. I'd gladly wait the couple of seconds.

(yeah, I know I can do it manually with PlecoMover, but that's not idiot-proof enough... I'm a pretty good idiot ;) )

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
PlecoMover's going to get a friendlier opening screen in the finished version, one with big obvious Backup and Restore buttons. (to an SD card, but probably with an option to backup to PDB instead, though I'm a bit worried about the internal memory usage with that) Automated backups are way too complicated a feature to consider for 2.0 at this point.

sych

榜眼
I think I'll probably go back to having my Flashcards DB as a PDB, then, so that it's backed up at hotsync time. I'd hate to ever lose it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Good idea, but I'm not sure if people would end up getting confused about the difference between that and whatever volume adjustment feature their system had built-in; all Windows Mobile devices have a volume adjustment icon in the top control bar, and the Palm Treos all have hardware volume control buttons. So I'd tend to think that those would be a better choice for situational volume changes (loud room, headphones versus speaker, etc) while the Pleco setting is just for getting it to fit in with how loud everything else on your system is.

I'd like to see a way to get to the flashcard screen when there is a saved session, without starting the session.

I am in class, and I usually want to change the default category at least twice during the morning (two separate classes), and it's currently not possible to just say "not now" to the start/delete dialog.

Another item is that I would like to be able to add a new vocabulary word to the same category as the previous word/selected category.

I'd also like to see the currently "receiving" category bolded in the list, and always visible on first open of the list (like it is now).

You could mark the default entry versus the "active recipient" categories too. Perhaps one would have a "*" in front of it (the default or the active - makes no difference to me).

Also (since I'm asking <smile>), make the "*" red.

Mator

秀才
Just wanted to ditto stephanhodges requests below this post as I was thinking about all the same issues earlier today.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Making it easier to get at the default category setting might be possible, but it would be really hard to enable full access to the flashcard system with a saved session in place - the system makes all sorts of assumptions about things not changing during a session, so we'd have to go through and carefully lock out / require you to delete the session whenever you changed one of those things.

I'm still not wild about default categories in general, to be honest - I understand why people want them, but I much prefer the idea of listing recently-created unfiled / uncategorized cards which you can then individually file away / add to multiple categories / delete. For vocabulary added on-the-fly in a class or when encountering words in conversation / on the street / etc it seems like a much better way to keep things organized.

I'm not big on the idea of two different default categories either, one general-purpose one and one active during the current session - it seems to me like a recipe for lost cards, people forgetting or getting confused about which default category they're currently using. Perhaps we could add an item to the top of that popup menu that brought up a separate little dialog where you could quickly change the default category - that would also work around the saved session problem.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Makes sense, and it would be pretty easy to add that to the audio playback button with a popup list.

ike a recipe for lost cards

Right now, unless I am very careful, it is TOO easy to put the card into the wrong category. That seems to signal something needing to change in the interface.

Also, there's no way to get a confirm dialog, and it doesn't say which category it was just put into, etc.

If you could show the current default category (make it bold?), that would help a bit. A way to change the default category without going through flashcard system would also be nice.

Also, (I did ask this before), I still hope you can widen the category drop down window so I can see wider category names.

gato

状元
I much prefer the idea of listing recently-created unfiled / uncategorized cards which you can then individually file away / add to multiple categories / delete. For vocabulary added on-the-fly in a class or when encountering words in conversation / on the street / etc it seems like a much better way to keep things organized.
There should be a way to assign many cards to a category at once en masse. Like a "select all" in many GUIs.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges - oh I agree something needs to change, I just don't think that having more possibilities for which category a new card might be added to is the best approach - this is why I like my recently-added list idea, that way you always know that cards you've just created will end up there. Having a regular default category and a second, only-applies-in-this-session default category seems like a step in the wrong direction.

gato - that's already possible, actually; bring up the cards you want in a Manage Flashcards search, then tap on the More button , select the category you want from the list next to the Add/Remove cat buttons, and tap on Add to add all of those cards to that category.

Hi Mike

At Them Moment, Having To Select/Confirm MC Answers Only By Tapping,
In Long Flashcard Sessions Is Uncomfortable, and Could Lead To RSI. :?

I Think The Flashcard Multiple-Choice & Tone Test UI Need To Be Tweaked
So That It's Possible To Run Them Using Assigned Button Commands Only.
eg Maybe Up/Down, Left/Right Cursor Actions.

Button Functionality Should Also Integrate Consistently Across All Flashcard Sessions.

The Duelist

In The Stroke-Order Test,
It Would Be Nice To See The Character's Definition.

There Could Be An Option To Display The Definition Before/After Marking,
To Add A Second Part To The Test. 8)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The multi-choice interface definitely needs to be improved, it's neither attractive-looking nor particularly hand-friendly right now.

A definition on the stroke order screen would be a little tricky because I'm not quite sure where it would fit - in a combined test that also flipped to a different interface to test you on definition etc it would make sense, but that might not happen until 3.0.

Character splitting

Do you have support for character splitting in the dictionary eg 明 = 日 + 月, 好 = 女 + 子? Like Harbaugh's character dictionary or Heisig. So one could navigate to the parts of a character to help learning the composite character.