Feedback on Pleco Beta Version

kasim

秀才
Hello Pleco Team,

I’ve been exploring the beta version of your app and I’d like to share some feedback based on my experience. Firstly, I appreciate the effort put into enhancing the app; the new overlay and additional functions are impressive improvements. However, I’ve encountered a few issues that might need attention:

1. Audio Functionality with Device Mute Settings

In the previous version of Pleco, the text-to-speech feature respected the device's mute settings. This allowed users to easily toggle the sound on and off using the physical mute switch on their devices. However, the beta version seems to override these settings, requiring a manual adjustment within the app to silence it. It would be more user-friendly if this feature could once again respect the device's mute settings(and silent mode on iPad) for convenience.

2. Font Size Issues in Some Dictionaries(see CC-CEDICT.PNG, TLC.PNG):

I've noticed that certain dictionaries display text with an excessively large font. This occurs both in pop-up windows and within the dictionary entries themselves, affecting readability. I’ve attached screenshots to highlight this issue clearly. Addressing these font inconsistencies would enhance the user experience significantly.

3. Highlight Management

The new highlight feature is absolutely fantastic addition, especially for users who frequently highlight key words or phrases. However, the process to manage them (like changing colors, editing categories or deleting) is quite cumbersome to the point that after 1 hour of using it and constantly going through the same steps made me not want to use it so much anymore. Introducing a more streamlined way to manage bookmarks directly from the main interface—perhaps a dedicated bookmark button on the top next to the + icon to save words to flashcards—would make this feature even more beneficial (i.e. user selects the word, the clicks the shortcut button and it highlights word, by clicking second time user can either change color or delete highlight)

4. Enhanced Settings Documentation:

While the app offers various customizable settings, it can be challenging for users to understand their functions without detailed explanations. Providing a brief description for each setting within the app or including a detailed user manual (like a PDF file with brief explanation or screenshots before-after) could significantly aid in navigating and utilizing these features more effectively. Users would not have to guess anymore and spend endless hours to understand what functions mean. For expert setting I think this would be absolutely crucial, because even after few hours customizing the app, I have no idea what these settings change.

5. Advanced Ruby Transcription Features

The Ruby transcription feature is excellent for learners, but it could be enhanced by allowing users to filter transcriptions based on their proficiency level. Similar to functionalities already implemented in the Language Reactor Google Chrome extension, it would be useful if Pleco could enable users to hide transcriptions for familiar, elementary-level words without having to repeatedly see ruby transcription for elementary words.

In Language Reactor(previously known as Learning languages with Netflix), it works as such: First, if user wants to enable the feature and add Ruby transcriptions it shows a couple of random words across HSK spectra, user should choose the option where he/she can read all the characters and then the levels below are filtered out and excluded from Ruby transcription(User then can manually change by clicking on the word whether he/she wants it to be excluded and Ruby transcription not shown(this might be also a button on the top in reader next to the add to flashcards + button, read aloud button etc.))

On the screen recording on the right side are words grouped by difficulty, Language Reactor has them also in different color(already known in green, white - not certain,, purple - unknown); then in the settings user can choose to turn off transliteration for known words. I believe implementing this into the reader would significantly declutter the interface and focus the learning aid on new or challenging vocabulary, without repetitions of words user already knows. This would be absolutely massive improvement and would change the way many people use reader.

I hope these points are helpful for refining the app. Thanks for your hard work and dedication to creating a valuable learning tool for Chinese language students. I look forward to future updates and am eager to see how these suggestions might be implemented.

Best regards,
Kasim

Attachments

• CC-CEDICT.PNG
    CC-CEDICT.PNG
    293.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Ruby.PNG
    Ruby.PNG
    800 KB · Views: 29
  • TLC.PNG
    TLC.PNG
    728.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks!

1) You can turn on the option to "respect mute switch" in Settings / System to fix this. (we started ignoring it by default because we had a ton of complaints about audio not working)

2) Have you adjusted any of the font sizes in Settings from their defaults? This seems like it's specifically the "Chinese headword scale" setting under "inline words."

3) We can consider adding an option for a streamlined button there for people who use this more frequently, yes - in general the Share menu change seems to be unsatisfying to a lot of people for a lot of different reasons.

4) Sorry, we haven't released any documentation for 4.0 yet - we're still planning to make substantial changes to a lot of the settings.

5) There's an option for this under 'flashcard formatting' - enable that and you should see options to 'hide ruby' and 'hide tone colors' for your chosen flashcards.

kasim

秀才
2) Have you adjusted any of the font sizes in Settings from their defaults? This seems like it's specifically the "Chinese headword scale" setting under "inline words."

I have adjusted Ruby relative font scale only to 75%; the "Chinese headword scale" setting under "inline words" is set to 100% by default. The problem occurs only in these two dictionaries, I have installed over 15 of them and in others it is fine, so not sure whether it is a problem with the app or dictionary itself.

Last edited:

kasim

秀才
5) There's an option for this under 'flashcard formatting' - enable that and you should see options to 'hide ruby' and 'hide tone colors' for your chosen flashcards.
Thank you, I checked it out and it works well.
Do you think it would be possible to add similar function as the Language Reactor to Pleco and integrate it with youtube, bilibili, iQiyi or other video platforms(user inputs video URL and would be able to watch it with subtitles, by clicking on them see the definitions, etc.)? I think a lot of people would be willing to buy this feature, because apart from Language Reactor there is no such platform that would do this and Language Reactor works only on Desktop so on mobile phones/tablets Pleco would be the first one.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We’re not really adding any totally new features for 4.0 at this point but we can consider this for a later .x update.

kasim

秀才
3) We can consider adding an option for a streamlined button there for people who use this more frequently, yes - in general the Share menu change seems to be unsatisfying to a lot of people for a lot of different reasons

Speaking of Reader and making the highlight function more convenient to use - I would also wanted to suggest another enhancement for the upcoming Pleco updates that could significantly boost the app’s convenience.

It would be great if we could include functionality for editing files directly within the app. Imagine being able to draw on or input text into the files — much like the file management tools available on iOS(Preview for example). This feature would not only improve flexibility but also enhance our interaction with the documents.

While I'm not sure if this is planned for version 4.0, I think it would be a valuable addition to consider for future updates.

Thank you for considering this suggestion!

Last edited:

kasim

秀才
We’re not really adding any totally new features for 4.0 at this point but we can consider this for a later .x update.

I understand, but please do not forget about this idea when you will be considering adding new features.

I strongly believe that incorporating a video player or integration with platforms like YouTube, Bilibili, or iQiyi could be a groundbreaking addition for the next update. Currently, there are no comprehensive solutions like this for mobile devices or tablets; the closest is the Language Reactor, but it only functions as a Chrome extension.

By pioneering this on mobile, Pleco could greatly enhance the learning experience for Chinese language students, offering a tool that isn't yet available elsewhere. I'm confident that many users would find great value in this feature and would be willing to invest in it. Being the first to market with such a feature could also provide a significant competitive edge.

I hope your development team can consider this for future updates as it would truly benefit end users.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It would be great if we could include functionality for editing files directly within the app. Imagine being able to draw on or input text into the files — much like the file management tools available on iOS(Preview for example). This feature would not only improve flexibility but also enhance our interaction with the documents.
We do support this with text files, and have for years - just tap on the pencil icon in the top toolbar.

I understand, but please do not forget about this idea when you will be considering adding new features.
Yes, we've had several requests for something like this.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@kasim We haven't yet managed to reproduce your issue #2 with font sizes; could you please email me (mikelove at pleco dot com) a backup of your settings? (Settings screen, Data & Backups, Backup settings)