Flash cards deleting themselves

Hello

I've been building up my flash card deck from words.hk but quite often I'll come across a word that I 100% already saved and it'll give me option to add it again as if I never did. It's not a separate entry for the same word and I haven't been restoring my database or anything. What's causing this and how can I stop it?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... are you sure the existing card actually did disappear, i.e. that the problem is with that and not with it somehow not finding the previous card even though it does exist?

I'm not certain as I have too many words in my deck to go through. However, when I search up the same word it'll show up as unsaved and I can then save it without it prompting me about duplicates

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, I'm wondering whether there's something about those words.hk entries that's causing them not to register as duplicates of each other. If you do a search for all cards and sort the results by their traditional characters, do you see a bunch of duplicate items listed?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... well in that case it could be some sort of a disk cache problem; data might not be getting saved permanently for some reason.

Are any newly created cards actually saving? If you create a card, exit Pleco and reboot your device, is the card still there?

Yup still there. I don't really have any other issues with my device. I'd say the vast majority of the cards are saving fine but the odd card here and there will just randomly unsave.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Could still be some weird file access glitch - do you notice any pattern to cards disappearing? Maybe something you tend to do with Pleco right after you've created a card that eventually disappears? Does the + initially turn into a [+] after you add the card? Is Pleco using internal storage or an SD card? How old is this device?

I can't think of any pattern, the only time I even close Pleco is when I have to restart it due to the TTS error. The + does turn into [+]. The device is about a year old. I don't know about the internal storage or SD card but everything is on default settings and I have not modded my device at all.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Can you try to keep an eye on it and see when the cards tend to disappear? (after a device reboot, after creating a bunch of additional cards, etc)

I can try but it's going to be hard to pin point exactly when they disappear. I only notice they've gone when I happen to highlight the word in example sentences. Do you think the problem is with my device or is it something you can look into on your end?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I can't recall any other reports of this problem, and we've certainly never seen it here, so while I can't say definitively whether it's an issue with your device or with our software, if it is a software bug, we don't yet have enough information to be able to diagnose / fix it.

So absent more information, about all I can do on our end is say that I hope we get some more reports of it so we can triangulate the problem better.