Flashcard "auto slide show" - enhancement suggestion

ELearner

I have been using PLECO for a few years now. Many thanks for this wonderful product! Can't say enough!
I have a suggestion regarding the flashcards system, hopefully simple to implement.

Is it possible using [Test type - Review Only] option, to have the cards advance automatically, with a selectable timer, e.g., every 3, 5 or 10 seconds; and the ability to loop again once the list is finished? This will enable a hands-off review, would be wonderful when the sound is enabled to re-enforce memory. What do you think?

Many thanks again for your efforts, and best regards.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This has gotten quite a lot of requests, will probably happen eventually but not for a while. Two reasons: #1, this is not integral to the redesign we're working on - i.e., it's not something the core of our flashcard system has to be built around - so it's something we can easily punt to a later update, and #2, we're still waiting to see how things shake out with smartwatches and voice control systems (Amazon Echo and its upcoming Google / Apple knockoffs) since we'd like to build it to integrate with those. Offline voice recognition in iOS would also be a game-changer, since we really think this works way better with voice prompts (even just to ask it to go back, mark a word for later review, replay, etc).

John G

I understand your reluctance, but I'd like to vote for this feature as well, because there is one use case that your alternatives don't cover: car commuters. I currently use quizlet this way: I tend to study a section at night, and I add words I had trouble with to a new subsection. It would be great to be able to use pleco to run through these words on my way to work the next morning. Smartwatches make me move my eyes away from the road, and voice recognition may or may not work well soon, but a quick quiz with a programmable delay would be ideal.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Fair enough - this is less a matter of wanting to make it smartphone-exclusive than of wanting to make sure we design it in a way that embraces this new wave of wrist / touch (and actually also car) interfaces.