Flashcard Import Problems: English-to-Chinese

Hi there,

I've recently moved from using Pleco on a Windows Mobile system to Android 2.3.4. I generally use the Pleco Flashcards platform to practice my Chinese, as was intended, but also have a set of English-only flashcards for practicing newly-learned vocabulary in my native language. On the Windows Pleco system there were two broad settings for importing flashcards, Chinese-to-English and English-to-Chinese (this is from memory, as obviously my licence transfer does not allow me to go back and use the Windows Mobile system anymore). When importing these all-English cards for my all-English flashcard database (from a self-made .txt file) I had to use the opposite setting to when I was importing Chinese flashcards (I think this was English-to-Chinese, as opposed Chinese-to-English). However, on the new Android flashcard system there does not appear to be any such distinction. Perhaps as a result, I am having problems importing new all-English cards. Currently, there are both problems with encoding and the fact that all cards are created anew, creating duplication problems. Given I have nearly 900 cards, this is obviously a bit of an issue.

This may be a bit of special case, as I'm not sure how many other people use Pleco flashcards for English-only practice. However, if there are any forum members who have advice on this, or can explain why there is no English-to-Chinese setting on the Android flashcard system, I'd appreciate advice.

Many thanks,

Graham

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
grahambond said:
I've recently moved from using Pleco on a Windows Mobile system to Android 2.3.4. I generally use the Pleco Flashcards platform to practice my Chinese, as was intended, but also have a set of English-only flashcards for practicing newly-learned vocabulary in my native language. On the Windows Pleco system there were two broad settings for importing flashcards, Chinese-to-English and English-to-Chinese (this is from memory, as obviously my licence transfer does not allow me to go back and use the Windows Mobile system anymore). When importing these all-English cards for my all-English flashcard database (from a self-made .txt file) I had to use the opposite setting to when I was importing Chinese flashcards (I think this was English-to-Chinese, as opposed Chinese-to-English). However, on the new Android flashcard system there does not appear to be any such distinction. Perhaps as a result, I am having problems importing new all-English cards. Currently, there are both problems with encoding and the fact that all cards are created anew, creating duplication problems. Given I have nearly 900 cards, this is obviously a bit of an issue.

This may be a bit of special case, as I'm not sure how many other people use Pleco flashcards for English-only practice. However, if there are any forum members who have advice on this, or can explain why there is no English-to-Chinese setting on the Android flashcard system, I'd appreciate advice.

We hadn't added the necessary code for it yet (not a very popular feature), but it's now been added for Beta 7, so once that's out you'd just turn on "Enable English-Chinese" in Settings / Flashcards and then there'd be an appropriate E-C language option in "Import Cards."

Marvellous. Thanks. I can see that Beta 7 is now out, so I look forward to trying out the new English-to-Chinese import feature.

Many thanks.