Flashcard review very limited?

daxia

Or maybe I don't get it.

I want to practice tones, definitions and character writing at the same time. I want to write the tones on the screen, write the characters on the screen and have multiple choices for the definitions, as this is the best and fastest way of studying.

There are so many different options and filters but I have tried messing around with all of them without finding what I am looking for. For some reason it seems like you can't mix multiple choice reviews and character writing (on screen painting), which is a complete mystery to me.

Am I doing something wrong or have I reached the limits of pleco?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We don't support mixing test types like that yet - essentially it's a relic of the memory-constrained way in which we originally designed our flashcard system, multiple-choice tests store + manage upcoming cards in a totally different way from other test types (so that we can for example make sure that we don't give you two different definitions that share the same Pinyin when you've configured it to show Pinyin and prompt for definitions) and it's not currently possible to mix them.

This should be fixed in our next major flashcard update, when we'll be getting rid of a lot of no-longer-necessary memory-saving tricks like that.

daxia

We don't support mixing test types like that yet - essentially it's a relic of the memory-constrained way in which we originally designed our flashcard system, multiple-choice tests store + manage upcoming cards in a totally different way from other test types (so that we can for example make sure that we don't give you two different definitions that share the same Pinyin when you've configured it to show Pinyin and prompt for definitions) and it's not currently possible to mix them.

This should be fixed in our next major flashcard update, when we'll be getting rid of a lot of no-longer-necessary memory-saving tricks like that.
Thanks for the fast reply. Do you know when this update will happen? Pleco is great in app many ways but this thing really gets to me.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, it's a programming-intensive enough update that it's really not something we can easily predict - also not clear yet how many new problems Apple and Google will throw at us in the meantime that force us to put off whatever new feature we're working on and scramble to deal with them. (Lollipop will probably end up costing us about a month of development time, e.g., and both Apple and Google could release fairly major .x updates next spring)

Have you thought about simply setting up two test profiles and alternating between them? They can share the same scorefile, and you can use a 'card filter' to make sure you don't review cards in one that you just reviewed in the other. You might not get to have the questions seamlessly mixed in with each other but you'll be getting the same basic alternating behavior even without that.