Flashcard settings: repetition of unlearned cards

olapur

Hello,

I'm rather new to Pleco and I'm trying to set up the flashcard system. While using Pleco flashcards I found that the new cards that I would like to learn are not shown frequently enough to support fast memorizing. While using some other flashard systems I found that the following learning method suits me best:
- the system would pick an "active set" of around seven cards and rotate through them
- as soon as a card has been remembered correctly (e.g. 3 times) it will be taken out of the active set and replaced by a new card
- the new cards could be either new unlearned cards or cards learned earlier.
- if a card learned earlier is shown and remembered correctly once, it will be taken out of the active set. If it is remembered wrong, you have to remember it correctly three times before it will be taken out of the active set

Is it possible to set up something like this in Pleco? If not, please add this kind of functionality to the flash card system (or suggest another learning scheme that repeata the unlearned cards frequently enough and brings in new cards then they are remembered correctly).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
olapur said:
While using some other flashard systems I found that the following learning method suits me best:
- the system would pick an "active set" of around seven cards and rotate through them
- as soon as a card has been remembered correctly (e.g. 3 times) it will be taken out of the active set and replaced by a new card
- if a card learned earlier is shown and remembered correctly once, it will be taken out of the active set. If it is remembered wrong, you have to remember it correctly three times before it will be taken out of the active set

Is it possible to set up something like this in Pleco?

Yes; you'd want to configure your desired "active set" size in Card Selection / Limit # of unlearned, but the rest of it will pretty much work like this automatically with the default settings - you'll see unlearned cards frequently and learned cards less frequently.

olapur

mikelove said:
olapur said:
While using some other flashard systems I found that the following learning method suits me best:

Is it possible to set up something like this in Pleco?

Yes; you'd want to configure your desired "active set" size in Card Selection / Limit # of unlearned, but the rest of it will pretty much work like this automatically with the default settings - you'll see unlearned cards frequently and learned cards less frequently.

Thank you for the hint, however, this did not work the way I wanted. It seems that the limit of # unlearned limits the total number of unlearned cards to be shown in the session. Thus, if I set it to 7, I initially get only 7 cards in the session and even if I learn them, no new cards would be presented. And when I have learned some cards, the new unlearned cards are not shown frequently enough so that I could easily memorize then. Thus, I would like to be presented with more than 7 unlearned cards in the session, and the unlearned cards would be repeated as part of the dynamically changing active set of 7 cards until I can memorize them.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
olapur said:
Thank you for the hint, however, this did not work the way I wanted. It seems that the limit of # unlearned limits the total number of unlearned cards to be shown in the session. Thus, if I set it to 7, I initially get only 7 cards in the session and even if I learn them, no new cards would be presented. And when I have learned some cards, the new unlearned cards are not shown frequently enough so that I could easily memorize then. Thus, I would like to be presented with more than 7 unlearned cards in the session, and the unlearned cards would be repeated as part of the dynamically changing active set of 7 cards until I can memorize them.

OK, in that case I'd do this a bit differently.

Main screen: Max number of cards = 15.
Card Selection: System = "Random"," Manage Unlearned = ON, Unlearned ratio = 50% (all the default settings), Card is learned if "correct in row" "3", Limit # of unlearned = ON, to = "30" (or a reasonable total unlearned card count), prioritize by = "approx created"

With this, Pleco will show you 15 cards per session, half of them unlearned cards drawn from a pool of 30 unlearned cards that it might show you at a time ( you can change that number in limit # of unlearned from whatever you like), the other half cards you've already learned. It'll take a few sessions to "prime the pump" for the already-learned cards so that you won't see them more often than you like, but after that it seems like you should have pretty much the behavior you're looking for.

olapur

Thanks, this seemed to be working, Now I'm getting closer to my preferred working mode and can really start learning Chinese with Pleco. Many thanks for your fast support.