Flashcard Statistics

daal

探花
I have several thousand flashcards sorted into a large number of categories and sub-categories. I also have a number of different tests - listening recognition, character writing etc. -for which I select certain categories to study. Each of my tests has its own scorefile.

What I would like to see when I look at statistics is how I am doing with regard to the cards I have chosen to study. So for example if I have chosen 500 words that I want to learn how to write, it would be more interesting for me to know that I have learned x out of 500 words than out of my total thousands of flashcards, and currently pleco only shows me the latter.

I would appreciate it if you would consider adding such an option.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can actually do that now - just choose that category from the 'category' section at the top of Statistics to see statistics for cards in that category.

daal

探花
Thanks - I should have known that something like what I was looking for was already available. It isn't perfect though, because my flashcards often come from several categories and statistics only lets me choose one (unless I missed that option too), but it does let me figure out what I want to know by checking the statistics of the categories successively.

Marc

举人
I second daal's wish. (http://plecoforums.com/threads/statistics-for-currently-set-card-categories-in-flashcard-test.4900/)

Unfortunately the statistics the way they are now (one single category or all at once) are pretty much useless for me as I learn flashcards from many categories. I guess this is the case for most users learning with normal teaching materials with many chapters. Yes, one learns one single chapter at a time. But one also needs to keep on repeating all the past ones. And there it is quite difficult to guess one's current level of overall proficiency or oblivion without any statistics.

Will there be other Statistical Options?
Like Being able to change the Learned score (ex. 1000) or period (per day or per week)
Also forgetting or failing statistics? How often does one not get to answer the cards correctly?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Many more, yes. Though you can actually change the Learned score already, in Card Selection.

HW60

状元
I would like to propose another statistics which takes into account the number of overdue cards.

I also have many flashcards, but some of them I have not been reviewing for years - the most overdue for more than 8 years. Probably I forgot some of the overdue cards. Therefore my Cards Learned figure is good, my actual knowledge not as good as the figure might suggest. I started to make a statistics of my own in Excel to show my daily success. With Over(0) = Overdue cards at the beginning of the statistics, Over(n) = Overdue cards n days after the beginning of the statistics, Learned(0) = Cards Learned at the beginning of the statistics, Learned(n) = Cards learned n days after the beginning of the statistics I measure success(n) with

success(n) = Learned(n) - Learned(0) - Overdue(n) + Overdue(0)

Example:
Learned(0) = 1000
Learned(n) = 1050
Overdue(0) = 2000
Overdue(n) = 1900

Then success(n) = 150.

Learned(n) comes from the Statistics screen (category: all flashcards), Overdue(n) comes from starting a test with all flashcards. Needless to say that success(n) can become negative.

For the definition of Learned(n) and Overdue(n) I use all flashcards, even those which I do not review at the moment. That does not matter because success is defined as difference of two figures. It does not take too long to make the statistics in Excel, but I would appreciate a built-in time series in Pleco.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Makes sense. It's not clear yet how many built-in reports 4.0 will ship with but we're doing extremely thoroughly logging in 4.0 so later 4.x updates will be able to add a lot more - thanks to both a) the need to port everything to Android and b) the need to nail down hard-to-change stuff first, an awful lot of the new stuff in 4.0 is low-level and doesn't come with too much pretty new UI attached.

(actually the biggest piece of new UI is settings screens; before now we'd been using the built-in Android preferences system, but that's no longer robust enough for our needs, so in 4.0 we're porting over the system we use on iOS)