flashcard synching between iphone and android

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dustpuppy said:
Is there currently a solution to sync flashcards between my iphone and my android tablet ?

Not to sync, but you can manually move the database back and forth - on iOS you use the Restore / Backup database commands, and on Android you'd put the database file into / copy it out of:

Code:
/Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/databases/

on your SD card.

iOS<>Android sync is unlikely to ever happen, unfortunately, given that Apple's rolled out such a lovely proprietary sync solution in iCloud and that Google will likely be rolling out their own competitor to that in Android 5.0 - there just aren't enough people mixing platforms to justify the massive effort that would be entailed in duplicating what they do for us.

dustpuppy

榜眼
What if you roll your own solution ? You could make it a paid add-on. People wouldn't mind paying if it's high quality like the rest of Pleco. If you ever develop a desktop pleco version, people will definitely demand PC-to-iphone or PC-to-android syncing. It seems like it would be a worthwhlie investment to have your own syncing mechanism independent of the apple and google APIs.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dustpuppy said:
What if you roll your own solution ? You could make it a paid add-on. People wouldn't mind paying if it's high quality like the rest of Pleco. If you ever develop a desktop pleco version, people will definitely demand PC-to-iphone or PC-to-android syncing. It seems like it would be a worthwhlie investment to have your own syncing mechanism independent of the apple and google APIs.

iCloud supports PC and Mac sync, actually, and I expect that Google's solution will as well. So it's really only about iOS<>Android, and I don't think there are enough paying customers out there for that feature to justify developing it. Plus it would force us to always keep the iOS and Android version flashcard database formats in sync, when it's quite possible we might roll out some new features on one platform 6 months before we roll them out on the other, so even if it wasn't a lot of work on its own it would create a lot of extra work in coordinating all of those updates.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dustpuppy said:
Got it. I'm still very interested in a sync solution even if it's not across iOS and android.

Well that should be coming soon, at least. And we may even be able to offer some sort of "manual sync" using the same code we're using for iCloud/Google Whatever that would theoretically be usable for cross-platform sync - it's only the automated, networked kind that causes us worries.