flashcard tests

naminori

举人
I am quite - or almost quite - happy with starting to explore the flashcard tests. - After quite some experimenting I managed to have the settings exactly to what could be useful for me, i.e. - multiple choice 4 / just Pron + Defn / audio not automatic, but available for full card. And I have set the number of cards for a test to "All".

But. - I have installed the >5 000 default cards. But when I start tests I alsways get again and again a random selection of about 50 and 60 cards - with endless repetions of cards that had already been answered correctly on first showing. - So this is useless treading on the spot.

Could you please tell me how to set for getting all the > the cards in store - and saving the score for all of these from every each interval of the test, but with repetion of the uncorrectly answered only when all the >5000 have been checked?

Shun

状元
Hello naminori,

I can offer you a solution that isn't the only or the most sophisticated one: Splitting a large category into more manageable subcategories of 20 to 50 cards which you can then select individually for studying. Tap-holding the large category in Organize Flashcards and selecting "Split" should do the trick.

Other possibilities:
- Using card filters (These could also be combined with the split categories solution, e.g. to study the most difficult cards from five subcategories together.)
- Spaced repetition (if you study regularly)

If you're curious about these, I suggest you start by reading through the Pleco Manual to learn more.

Could you please tell me how to set for getting all the > the cards in store - and saving the score for all of these from every each interval of the test, but with repetion of the uncorrectly answered only when all the >5000 have been checked?

This could be accomplished by setting the Record Filter card filter's # reviewed to = 0.

Cheers,

Shun

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, this is the best bet at the moment - use a filter to limit the test to cards that were never reviewed until you get through them all. It's not really a standard / default behavior since most people like to introduce new cards gradually - hard to learn more than a few dozen at once - though we are considering adding an easy feature to let you quickly flip through and classify new cards as known / unknown.

naminori

举人
Thank you Mike, for sending this at the very moment that I was drafting the reply below. -

Without being flush in Chinese at all - I am at a level that just with the multiple choice <for me choosing out of four better than out of five> and Pron first and Defn then, I have a very high percentage to get it right. Though often after quite some pondering, particularly when it comes to Defn or meanings.

Running through the whole bulk or bunch from first to left card - and only after this getting all the incorrect from first to left again would be the best way. - For it would only a loss of time to see again and again the cards that had been answered correctly on first or second sight or showing.

As far as the filter recommendation propsed by Shun. - I have checked the Record Filter - Include card if times reviewed Is = Than 0.

And I am now getting this message.

1621122983463.png

I am of course not going to change this. - I tested it shortly - and did not see repetitions now

Will this now allow me to test the hole HSK flashcard in one line - from # 1 to # 5007?

Regards

naminori

Here is the draft of my reply to Shun. -

"If you're curious about these, I suggest you start by reading through the Pleco Manual to learn more."

I have printed the manual out and looked into it. - There is much talk in the Manual about the way the tests should be set up. And these I have already set.

But I have so far not seen a setting for having access to the whole collection of cards - to test them from the first to the last - and be not confronted with repetitions before the last card is checked. And then get a new run - with the incorrectly answered only - and not repetitions of the ones that were correctly answered.

Regards

naminori

Shun

状元
Hi naminori,

kudos for printing out the manual. To resolve the problem in your screenshot, I would create a new profile, which allows you to start over with the default settings, and then set the Record Filter's # reviewed to = 0. When you have worked through all the 5,000 cards, you could change the Record Filter to # incorrect > 0 to study only the cards you answered incorrectly.

Regards and good luck,

Shun

But I have so far not seen a setting for having access to the whole collection of cards - to test them from the first to the last - and be not confronted with repetitions before the last card is checked. And then get a new run - with the incorrectly answered only - and not repetitions of the ones that were correctly answered.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I would create a new profile, which allows you to start over with the default settings

You'd also want to create a new scorefile with that profile - New Test / Scoring; otherwise it would still have the scores from the original profile.

Create a new profile, give it a new score file, turn off 'limit new cards' in Card Selection, add a filter to limit it to cards that have ben reviewed 0 times, and configure the other test settings for multi-choice per your original profile; that should let you run through all of the HSK cards once without any repetitions.

naminori

举人
Thanks a lot. - I hope I could apply now Shun's and your advice. - I have set up a new Profile called nami 2, set the filter and the test type to what I had before - and tried two consecutive sessions with three and five cards respectively or eight in all. And the statistics seem to record those precisely - as 100% correct <though I cheated twice with peeping into a dictionary >.

1621182718891.png

I hope that this is now the solution. - I was wandering a little that for a new text the system proposes 100 cards for a session. But I suppose that this is just an "idea" for the length of a new test or session and does not imply any limitation of cards available. Is that correct?

Imagining that this is now neatly on track. It could take me - at a rate of about 40 per day - up to October to once check the reamining 5013 cards in my present "portfolio". - Could you give me an inkling about how to procede then for checking only the ones I might have missed?

And yet another little question - that possible could start another thread. After my first experimenting with OCR I may have involuntarily have set up for Pleco's little white OCR camera symbol to be stuck on the lower right corner of the start screen of my realme 7 5G android smartphone. - By clicking on that camera symbol there is only a white circle around in showing up and disappearing again. But I don't see a way to remove the symbol from that position - where it seems to have no function at all.

Regards

naminori

naminori

举人
Yet another little question. Does the setting up of the new Profile mean that the statistics for the about 100 or 120 cards checked on the first profile are gone? Or, if not, how could they be seen?

Shun

状元
I hope that this is now the solution. - I was wandering a little that for a new text the system proposes 100 cards for a session. But I suppose that this is just an "idea" for the length of a new test or session and does not imply any limitation of cards available. Is that correct?

Yes. You can also set the Max number of cards setting to All to see all the cards at once.

Imagining that this is now neatly on track. It could take me - at a rate of about 40 per day - up to October to once check the reamining 5013 cards in my present "portfolio". - Could you give me an inkling about how to procede then for checking only the ones I might have missed?

Sure. Copied from above: When you have worked through all the 5,000 cards, you could change the Record Filter to # incorrect > 0 to study only the cards you answered incorrectly.

And yet another little question - that possible could start another thread. After my first experimenting with OCR I may have involuntarily have set up for Pleco's little white OCR camera symbol to be stuck on the lower right corner of the start screen of my realme 7 5G android smartphone. - By clicking on that camera symbol there is only a white circle around in showing up and disappearing again. But I don't see a way to remove the symbol from that position - where it seems to have no function at all.

That is a question for Mike.

Yet another little question. Does the setting up of the new Profile mean that the statistics for the about 100 or 120 cards checked on the first profile are gone? Or, if not, how could they be seen?

If you just set up a new profile, but keep the scorefile from before (i.e. do not create a fresh scorefile), you will keep your scores/statistics. I would actually do that.

Regards,

Shun

naminori

举人
Thank you, Shun, for having now answered rather all the questions pertaining to this query. - I set the Max number of cards again to all again.-

As far as the Scorefile is concerned I did indeed create a new one and the previous one seems to have gone. I have now only the Default scorefile and the newly created nami 2 scorefile. And that is alright too.

Regards

naminori

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Does a menu pop up if you long press on that symbol?

As far as I know there isn't a standard Android system way for an app to add a button to a device home screen, so this feels like it's probably some sort of Realme-specific shortcut feature - maybe search around in your system settings to see if there's any kind of home screen customization option there?