Flashcards - characters with many definitions

Hey,

I'm just starting out with learning Chinese. I've got a few Chinese friends who I can bounce things off regularly, and a couple of books to start with which is good.

I'm finding Pleco (especially the flashcards) invaluable.

The only problem I'm having is at the moment is that I'm tending to learn simple phrases and the words in the phrases. In most cases I've only learned one of the many meanings of a given word/character. So when it comes to testing myself, I don't recognise the other meanings which I haven't yet learned (classic example: the flashcard test asks me for the definition of 'he2'. In the standard Pleco dictionary, the definition I know "and (conjunction)" is a long way down the screen after many other meanings (e.g. gentle, harmonious, peace...). This situation is not helped by the fact that it's not possible to view long definitions in the Pleco flashcard test screens.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?

I think I will convert to a custom flashcard, delete the definitions I don't know and then add them back in as I learn them.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
eddiewould said:
I'm finding Pleco (especially the flashcards) invaluable.

Thank you!

eddiewould said:
The only problem I'm having is at the moment is that I'm tending to learn simple phrases and the words in the phrases. In most cases I've only learned one of the many meanings of a given word/character. So when it comes to testing myself, I don't recognise the other meanings which I haven't yet learned (classic example: the flashcard test asks me for the definition of 'he2'. In the standard Pleco dictionary, the definition I know "and (conjunction)" is a long way down the screen after many other meanings (e.g. gentle, harmonious, peace...). This situation is not helped by the fact that it's not possible to view long definitions in the Pleco flashcard test screens.

Why are you not able to view them? They should be scrollable just like any other definitions. The example sentences are hidden by default, but you can get them to display via Flashcard Testing / Display / Definition sections. ("No xrefs" or "Show all")

eddiewould said:
I think I will convert to a custom flashcard, delete the definitions I don't know and then add them back in as I learn them.

That's probably the best solution at the moment, yes.

mikelove said:
Why are you not able to view them? They should be scrollable just like any other definitions. The example sentences are hidden by default, but you can get them to display via Flashcard Testing / Display / Definition sections. ("No xrefs" or "Show all")

This is when the flashcard test is prompting me for a definition. I've got two-step multi-choice which helps a bit, but on longer definitions the text still aren't shown. "Scrolling" doesn't seem to do anything (I think we discussed this briefly previously and you said that a future version of Pleco might use a pop-up)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
eddiewould said:
This is when the flashcard test is prompting me for a definition. I've got two-step multi-choice which helps a bit, but on longer definitions the text still aren't shown. "Scrolling" doesn't seem to do anything (I think we discussed this briefly previously and you said that a future version of Pleco might use a pop-up)

Oh, right, for multi-choice tests - sorry I forgot about that earlier discussion.