Flashcards missing definitions

Avery

As I was reviewing my flashcards today, many of them have this text in place of the definition: "The dictionary or entry that this card link to appears to be missing or unavailable." When I click on the 'Change dictionary/entry' button at the bottom, the definition is there. I click 'Set New Entry' and it resets the definition. This doesn't happen with every card but it happens with a lot of them. So much that its frustrating to go through all my card decks to 'reinitialize' each card.

Is this a known bug? Is there a way to restore my flashcards? I'm running 2.2.11.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Double-check the Add-ons tab to make sure that there aren't any dictionaries missing that you're supposed to have - if there are, re-download them. (make sure to do this in the Free section too)

To fix your broken cards, "Search Cards" for "incomplete" cards, then tap "Edit," "Batch," choose a new dictionary under Dictionary / Remap to Dictionary, and tap "Remap now." That will switch those cards over to the new dictionary (assuming Pleco can find entries in it for them).

Avery

This seemed to fix this. Thanks! As a follow-up question what do you think caused this? The only thing I can think of is that I did a sync a little while ago before I noticed this.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Avery said:
This seemed to fix this. Thanks! As a follow-up question what do you think caused this? The only thing I can think of is that I did a sync a little while ago before I noticed this.

It would have to be a missing dictionary of some kind - did you maybe have an old user dictionary that you deleted? Or are you missing a free dictionary add-on that you used to have?

johnh113

榜眼
mikelove said:
Double-check the Add-ons tab to make sure that there aren't any dictionaries missing that you're supposed to have - if there are, re-download them. (make sure to do this in the Free section too)

To fix your broken cards, "Search Cards" for "incomplete" cards, then tap "Edit," "Batch," choose a new dictionary under Dictionary / Remap to Dictionary, and tap "Remap now." That will switch those cards over to the new dictionary (assuming Pleco can find entries in it for them).

Dear Mike,

I've done this and it worked. But I had to do it multiple times to get all the cards remapped. Would it be possible for the remap to use the already existing ordered list of dictionaries so that if it doesn't find a definition in the first dictionary it would look in the next, and then the next until it finds a definition?

John

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
johnh113 said:
I've done this and it worked. But I had to do it multiple times to get all the cards remapped. Would it be possible for the remap to use the already existing ordered list of dictionaries so that if it doesn't find a definition in the first dictionary it would look in the next, and then the next until it finds a definition?

Possible, yes - just have to find the time to add support for that.