flashcards on android

I just installed the Beta 3 and wanted to import my flashcards from my Windows Mobile device. So I exported it as a txt.-file (http://www.ringwraith.de/Shit/test.txt), put it on my HTC Desire S, chose the file in the flashcard menu, tapped on "Begin Import". The screen turns black for a second, then I am back in the main flashcard menu. When I try to start a session Pleco tells me I haven't created any flashcards, yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Michael.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
burdenofhope said:
I just installed the Beta 3 and wanted to import my flashcards from my Windows Mobile device. So I exported it as a txt.-file (http://www.ringwraith.de/Shit/test.txt), put it on my HTC Desire S, chose the file in the flashcard menu, tapped on "Begin Import". The screen turns black for a second, then I am back in the main flashcard menu. When I try to start a session Pleco tells me I haven't created any flashcards, yet. Any suggestions?

Sounds like a crash - could you email or PM me your crash log? You can get that with the free Android Market utilities CatLog or aLogcat.

esseokok

Hello!

Just installed the beta and I have the same problem as burdenofhope, when I try to import my flashcards, tried both xml and txt and a few different settings, nothing happens, it goes black for a bit then i am back in the flashcard menu no cards imported.

On a different note: do I have to use the Pleco handwriting input method during fill in the blanks excercises or can I somehow switch to other input methods? I really would like to use my 百度输入法.

Plus, is there somewhere a documentation out there about the flashcards (probably one for iOS which would also be applicable for the Androic version)? There are still a lot of things I don't quite get. For example, what is the difference between simple, weighted and spaced repetition profiles?

Thanks, Michael.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
burdenofhope said:
On a different note: do I have to use the Pleco handwriting input method during fill in the blanks excercises or can I somehow switch to other input methods? I really would like to use my 百度输入法.

Not at the moment - it's darn near impossible to get the Android IME system to behave in the way we want it to (hiding the input UI when you finish entering an answer and showing it again afterwards), so custom Pleco UI is about all we can do. We're also not sure about the pedagogical efficacy of using a Pinyin input method for character flashcard tests - seems like you're better off either using fill-in-the-blanks Pinyin or self-scored with characters hidden.

burdenofhope said:
Plus, is there somewhere a documentation out there about the flashcards (probably one for iOS which would also be applicable for the Androic version)? There are still a lot of things I don't quite get. For example, what is the difference between simple, weighted and spaced repetition profiles?

Yes - http://www.pleco.com/ipmanual/flash.html is the iOS manual. The difference between those profiles primarily relates to our "card selection" systems, those three profiles use random / frequency / repetition-spaced respectively.

mikelove said:
burdenofhope said:

Not at the moment - it's darn near impossible to get the Android IME system to behave in the way we want it to (hiding the input UI when you finish entering an answer and showing it again afterwards), so custom Pleco UI is about all we can do. We're also not sure about the pedagogical efficacy of using a Pinyin input method for character flashcard tests - seems like you're better off either using fill-in-the-blanks Pinyin or self-scored with characters hidden.
Nah, I'm using the Baidu full screen handwriting recognition. You should try it out, it's amazing. :)

Thanks for the documentation.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
burdenofhope said:
Nah, I'm using the Baidu full screen handwriting recognition. You should try it out, it's amazing. :)

Ah... well we probably will add support for external IMEs at some point, if for no other reason then because we don't want a $15 handwriting recognizer to be a prerequisite to get full functionality out of a $15 flashcard system, but the interface is likely to be a bit awkward - severely reduced set of flashcard control buttons to deal with the fact that the input method is taking up most of the screen and can't be reliably hidden.